Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcgm_gw

Worms from organic miracle grow?

dcgm
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I recently moved from NY to GA, and the one thing I really love is that the climate allows me to grow more tomatoes and other vegetables than I could possibly eat! It's really great. For the 1st time in 18 years I can fully grow a tomato without the snow coming to kill the plant.

I have numerous plants on my porch at the moment, a few are even waiting to be replanted when we finish sodding the backyard.

Anyway, the other day I was at the home depot garden center (bliss, hehe), and I found a bag of tomato/vegetable organic feed, which is apparently made from cow poo. I sprinkled some of the nasty-smelling stuff in a large (VERY large) pot on top of a husky red cherry tomato plant. I also threw some on a small black cherry tomato plant, a small pot of 5 yellow tomato plants (I planted these from seed and they all grew! These will be going into the ground), and a very hardy eggplant plant. All these were doing quite well afterward, despite me realizing that it says NOT to use in potted plants (doh!). The exeption was my black cherry plant, which had to be totally pinched back bare due to some illness I was unable to diagnose. I'm fairly sure this had nothing to do with the fertilizer...

Now here's where the trouble began: Today I see 2 small, skinny worms on top of the black cherry soil. I wasn't sure where they came from, so I took a garden shovel and flung them away. I moved away the top soil only to find what must be hundreds of these small worms moving about. To be honest, I got a little freaked out. I could be wrong, but it sure seems like these appeared over night!

All the plants I've used the Miracle grow on have a few of these things moving around. The black cherry tomato is completely infested, and I'm worried. As I said, all the plants are doing ok now (even the black cherry has started to grow new, healthy leaves). Does anyone know what these are? Where did they come from? Are they harmful? If so, how can I eliminate them?

Any help is appreciated. I'm fairly new at gardening, and I'm learning of all these fabulous pests Georgia has to offer ;)

Someone help!

Thanks,

Kris

Comments (2)