Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maters breaking at tips!!!

Posted by sushiqueen so cal (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 18:06

On several plants....NOT blossom drop, breaking at base of flower bunch...on the stem..above the leaves...about aon inch under the flowers...a clear circular break..i can see a a little browning on some...like rotting...and then some are hanging off..some about to break....very strange..experienced gardner here..never seen anything like this

pest or disease

these are VERY healthy plants..the biggest I have ever had..over 5 feet high!!

they are mostly heirlooms

please help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maters breaking at tips!!!

This isn't going to help you much but I thought I'd tell you my experience. I have the same thing happening to my brandywine tomato plant - the flower falls off just about a 1/4 inch in from the flower. I've been asking for help. Some people thought it was the high heat and humidity and then somebody suggested using an electric toothbrush on the head of the flower just where it joins the stem, the premise being that the pollen needed to be shaken a bit. I really thought that would work - and the flowers did stay on a week or so longer, but then they started falling off again. I'm still trying to find out what I can do. I'll let you know when I do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here