Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious fungus besetting ripe tomatoes

Posted by blue_canary MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 18:14

The initial batch of tomatoes I picked from my garden were small but lovely. Now, though, as soon as they start to ripen many of the tomatoes are developing blotches that sprout fungus while either still on the vine or shortly after being brought indoors. I'm not sure what it is, but it's forcing me to use my picked tomatoes quicker than I'd like.

At least some of the blotching can be attributed to the fact that the tomatoes bruise and split within two to three of sitting on the counter. I rest them stems-up usually; should I be resting them stems down, a seen here?

Image link: Mysterious fungus besetting ripe tomatoes (40 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious fungus besetting ripe tomatoes

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 18:40

Do your plants trail on the ground? If so, likely a post-harvest rot which was initiated while still on the plant.

If that's the case, the remedy is to tie them up. If not possible this year, remember to do so next season.

o
RE: Mysterious fungus besetting ripe tomatoes

They're all caged, though the weight of the fruit has started to yank some cages up due to the cage being a bit puny. The plants these came from are all standing tall and the fruit came from the upper third of the plant.

I've had problems with stinkbugs; could they be the cause? I have to go and knock them off of the fruit every morning and afternoon. I didn't think they caused fungal damage though, just cosmetic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here