Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newindc

Help! Tomato can't stand upright

newindc
17 years ago

Hi,

This is my first year growing tomatoes. I live in Washington, DC, and have two tomato plants (better bush and better boy) growing in separate containers. Things were going well until this past week when I noticed signs of early blight on the leaves (yellowing leaves and then some had the yellow big circles with dark circles inside) on both plants--they grow fairly close together. I have been pruning the sick leaves off the plant, mainly in the middle of both plants. Last night I sprayed Daconil for the first time and think I got both plants covered well. Tonight the better bush has lost its strength to stay upright and is propped up against my deck railing. Is this a reaction to the Daconil, or something more sinister like another disease? I don't have a photo posted here but could try to put one on tomorrow. The rest of the plant looks fine and there are about 8-10 tomatoes in varying stages of development on the plant. The better boy appears to be fine.

I just watered the tomatoes again and added a little fish emulsion to the water, thinking maybe it needed some nutrients. (I used Miracle Grow last week and have used that sparingly, only 3 x during the whole growing season).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am so sad, the plant looked great until today.

Lindsay

Comments (2)