Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow lower leaves Southern Calif

Posted by oceano Calif (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 18:32

See photo link

Tomatoes in new raised bed with all new soil (sterile compost) from Home Depot.

Plants show yellowing of lower leaves. After a week leaves and affected stems wither and fall. Some upper leaves are curled. I remove yellowed branches as they develop so plants in these photos have lost 20 percent of lower foliage.

Although soil was sterile the stakes were five years old and had been used for tomatoes before.

A cherry tomato plant (moto) was entirely destroyed andhas been removed. It roots had a fungus like appearance, or seemed rotted and otherwise unhealthy.

Andy diagnosis appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato problems

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow lower leaves Southern Calif

Mine looks the same I was wondering what it is too?
Photobucket

o

I have the same problem! I cant figure it out. Have you found any answers?

o

I was told it was due to growing it in a small pot.

o

I believe I slowed the progress of whatever it is by weekly application of neem oil. There are no visible insects, however. The plants are still alive but growing slowly, with a wilted appearance, many curled leaves, and fruit that never seems to achieve maturity. I should plow them under but figured it would be interesting to see what happens.

You'd think tomato diagnosis would be easy enough, but it is very confounding. I've varied watering, fertilizing, spraying, pruning, and sun-shielding among the 6 plants, with spectacularly ambiguous results. One of them is quite healthy despite everything, the others show no reaction to any of my tests.

I cant even water them to death or dry them out to death. They are sick THEIR WAY.

o

I don't do anything besides spray with compost tea every three weeks. I would guess either Fusarium wilt or early wilt from the photo, just a guess.

Most folks seem to plant the tomatoes too close together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here