Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceano_gw

Yellow lower leaves Southern Calif

oceano
14 years ago

See photo link

Tomatoes in new raised bed with all new soil (sterile compost) from Home Depot.

Plants show yellowing of lower leaves. After a week leaves and affected stems wither and fall. Some upper leaves are curled. I remove yellowed branches as they develop so plants in these photos have lost 20 percent of lower foliage.

Although soil was sterile the stakes were five years old and had been used for tomatoes before.

A cherry tomato plant (moto) was entirely destroyed andhas been removed. It roots had a fungus like appearance, or seemed rotted and otherwise unhealthy.

Andy diagnosis appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato problems

Comments (5)

• chillilover
    14 years ago

Mine looks the same I was wondering what it is too?

• paul316
    14 years ago

I have the same problem! I cant figure it out. Have you found any answers?

• chillilover
    14 years ago

I was told it was due to growing it in a small pot.

• oceano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I believe I slowed the progress of whatever it is by weekly application of neem oil. There are no visible insects, however. The plants are still alive but growing slowly, with a wilted appearance, many curled leaves, and fruit that never seems to achieve maturity. I should plow them under but figured it would be interesting to see what happens.

You'd think tomato diagnosis would be easy enough, but it is very confounding. I've varied watering, fertilizing, spraying, pruning, and sun-shielding among the 6 plants, with spectacularly ambiguous results. One of them is quite healthy despite everything, the others show no reaction to any of my tests.

I cant even water them to death or dry them out to death. They are sick THEIR WAY.

• robertz6
    14 years ago

I don't do anything besides spray with compost tea every three weeks. I would guess either Fusarium wilt or early wilt from the photo, just a guess.

Most folks seem to plant the tomatoes too close together.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler