Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atomicwoman_gw

New Member Plight

Atomicwoman
18 years ago

Hi,

I decided that I would plant most of my tomatoes in containers this year. All was well until my Nepal Heirloom was attacked by slimy little aphids brought in by ants. I sprayed with soap, which killed the little buggers, however I didn't hose the soap off. I was afraid to get the foliage wet. We've been having the usual "June Gloom" here in coastal So. California. But the leaves started to curl and turn brown and spotty. The ripest fruit developed rotting on th blossom end. Anyway, I have since hosed off the plant and removed the brown folliage. Here are some pics before I did this.

My question is: Did the aphids cause this or do I have a systemic/viral issue? Should I trash the plant or try to save it. None of my other plants (all heirlooms) have had this problem.

Image link:

Comments (4)

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

What i see, in your 2 Posts, 2 pics, is the result, of tryin to grow a indeterminate...in a pot. You got major BER, yellowin, from plant distress. If ya ever gon try an use a pot to grow a Tomato in, then pre-figure how you gonna best be able to mimic Earth conditions. A Tomato plant aint no fool, it knows, where it originated from. You got to best imitate, that environment, ESPECIALLY, if you growin it in a pot.Nothin i know, that could turn things around for ya, unless you got Bold, an decided to go outside, somewhere, an Dig...a Big, wide, hole for it. In my book, u are one of Millions, that try and do this, improperly, an then ask..." WHY"...A Nepal is an in-determinate, next time, before you decide what plant to attempt growin, at least ponder the 2 distinct types out there, an make a Better descision. Best Wishes, tho, pots will definately teach one, if they are truly tryin to Learn...)))

• Atomicwoman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear 3 steps (I love that song, if that is in fact is the reference)

Thanks for the critique! I'm not sure what BER is, but I will certainly look it up. I suppose you're right about the pot thing, the roots like to have some growing room. Twas a risky experiment to be sure, one that I won't replicate next year. Am I to understand that one should choose a determinate plant for growing in a pot? It never occurred to me to do this.
    Fortunately, my San Marzano, Stupice and Brandywines are happily in the ground and doing very well. I'm basically lazy and I wanted to have some tomato plants handy to the kitchen. My vegi garden is down by the barn and prey to the marauding peacocks we have around these parts. Peacocks just love juicy tomatoes.

So-- do I just pluck the green fruit, have fried green tomatoes for dinner and toss the Nepal?

• farkee
    18 years ago

Atomicwoman and Gimme, You CAN grow indeterminates in a container (very successfully). People grow in 5 gal. but I prefer larger (15 gal. or larger).

Please get the book HOW TO GROW WORLD RECORD TOMATOES by Charles Wilber. Most of the book deals with in-ground planting but he has a section in it that discusses growing indeterminates in 1/2 whisky barrels. (He harvested over 100 pounds from one plant!)

Gimmee, you would love that book. He uses cover crops, compost, natural alfalfa meal. Costs $15 Barnes and Noble or better yet get it from Acres USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow WOrld Record Tomatoes

• Atomicwoman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woohoo! Thanks Farkee.
    I shall get this book. It just may help to save the rest of my little experiment.
    My poor Nepal is in a 10 gallon pot and is looking leggy these days. I'm holding out to see how the rest of the fruit does. I gave it a good deep watering and some Tomatoes Alive. Cross fingers.
    I went out and looked at the others in pots this morning. I have a Black Plum (Ind) in a smaller container. It is chockablock with healthy fruit and lovely and leaves.
    But my Cosmonaut Volkov is in a wiskey barrel and is none too happy. The leaves are looking a bit sparse on the top part of the plant and the upper blossoms seem to be drying up. I've harvested just a few tomatoes from this plant, the flavor is brilliant. I hope I can keep it going.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area