Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato plant disease?

Posted by dehegerty z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 18:52

Hey everyone..
I have never had this problem with my tomato plants before and am about ready to pull them up and disgard them.

The plants are tremendously large and heavy with tomatoes.
No fertilizer applied just planted in a spot that had never been gardened before.

The stems are "growing" what appears to be hundreds of small white "root like" extensions..It is very unsightly and I do not believe I would be able to eat the tomatoes unless I find out what this could possibly be. Is anyone out there able to shed some light on what this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato plant disease?

Is anyone out there able to shed some light on what this might be?

if those root like extensions are on the main stem, primarily, they're called root primordia or adventitious roots and are completely normal.

If they were in contact with soil roots would form.

Carolyn

o

I agree with Carolyn thats exactly what they are I have them on one of my yellow pear tomatoes that are on the stems 7 ft in the air. Not a thing in the world to worry about.

Worth

o

I HAVE WHAT LOOKS LIKE BLISTERS ON THE STEM OF MY TOMATOE PLANTS. MY PLANTS ARE IN 5 GALLON CONTAINERS AND HANGING UPSIDE DOWN. SO YOU THINK THIS IS NORMAL? THANKS, VICKIE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here