Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato plant problems in green house

Posted by _baldeagle_ 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:03

For the last 2 years I've had this disease kill my tomato plants in the green house. It starts out with brown patches on the stem at the bottom or on some leaves and spreads eventually killing the whole plant. This year again when the problem started, I researched on the this topic and thought it might be blight. So I sprayed the plants with Organocide which is a organic insecticide and fungicide. As soon as I sprayed this, the leaves and stems started wilting even more. Now bottom half of the plants are pretty much dead. Any help will be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organocide

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato plant problems in green house

some more pics

o

this was how it looked before Organocide

o

any help with this will be appreciated.

o

Stressed plants
- Need more light.
- Growing mix appears to be too wet.
- Difficult to ID the black stuff -- could be a non-damaging mold due to all the environmental moisture and low light.

o

Thanks jean001a. These plants are in a greenhouse and they get sun light from 1pm to about 8pm. I water them once a day for 20mins using drip bubblers. Don't know if that's too much water or not. Any idea how much watering tomato plants require ?

o

Evenly moist growing medium.
Yours looks wet. Stick a finger in it to determine how wet it might be.

As for the amount of light, if the greenhouse is that "milky" material, needs more light. Perhaps rig fluorescents just above the plants.

o

Thanks again jean001a ! I'll try watering the plants only when needed (instead of using a timer for every day) and see if I can salvage these plants.

o

Way too much water! Let them tell you when they need water. Poke your finger in the soil as far as you can and see if it feels wet. I would sterilize everything in the greenhouse and the pots and cages with a bleach solution and rinse them off well.

o

Thanks zackey ! I've stopped watering every day and will monitor and water them as needed. I will sterilize everything at the end of the season as you mentioned. I have a follow up question to the watering issue. I have couple of eggplants and pepper plants in the same green house which were being watered by the same timer. Any idea if they need similar watering as the tomatoes or do they need more frequent watering ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here