Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Powdery Mildew or other problem?

Posted by mike4230 Phila. PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 19:04

My plants have recently been going downhill. Weather has been really hot and dry (several days of 100+) for a few weeks and then cooled off a little (low 90's) with an abundance of rain from afternoon thunderstorms. This all started during the hottest weather. I was watering everyday via drip hoses.

Some plants are much worse than others and have lost nearly all leaves. Other plants still have all the leaves but have a white coating on them. I suspect this to be powdery mildew from some research I did online, however would like confirmation and the best way to get rid of it! Pics at the link below.

When we got a bunch of rain many of the tomatoes split and a good deal have been rotting on the vine. Not sure if this is related to the above or a seperate problem?

http://picasaweb.google.com/MKatra/20100729#

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of plant leaves

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Powdery Mildew or other problem?

That's not powdery mildew... that's spider mite damage, probably brought on by the heat wave and inevitable water stress.

There's at least one post on this forum about mites, and you can do some searches for it. A brief summary is that they are tough little buggers. All of my tomatoes have them to some degree, though I'm getting a big harvest despite that.

Good luck.

--Alison

o
RE: Is this Powdery Mildew or other problem?

Thanks for the info, will look into it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here