Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa2005

When to harvest tomatoes/cracks in Beef variety

iowa2005
18 years ago

Hi,

I had planted Beef and Ace varieties of Tomatoes. They are all producing fruit now, but they are not ripening even after they have grown big. Meanwhile the Beef variety had started cracking at the bottom and I think they have become infested. I didn't notice that until recently since it was happening at the bottom of the fruit and I had to throw lot of them. It was hard to throw the fruit of hard work away. Then for remaining fruit, I had cut them while they are still green, becuase I felt if I leave them to ripen they all might get spoiled. Now I don't kwow if it is a good thing or not. I have several questions.

(1) Will the green fruit ripen once it is off the plant and how long does it take?

(2) What could be the reason Beef variety was cracking and may have been infested where as the "Ace" variety was fine?

(3) Is there any way to accelerate ripening without fruit becoming too big or staying on the plant for long?

This is my first season of growing tomotoes. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments

best wishes,

Bill

Comment (1)