Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gepetto1

Resource Manual Detailing Tomato Program

Gepetto1
18 years ago

Can anyone recommend an informative, practical manual for raising healthy tomatoes? Probably too late to save much of my crop this year, so looking and planning ahead for next year to avoid a repeat.

Such a manual would have a good diagnostic section for diseases, remedies for those that can be healed and prophylactic measures for those that can't. Also have recommendations by way of varieties and pros and cons of various growing techniques. Stuff along this line.

Suggestions? Is there a common-consent bible for growing healthy tomatoes?

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Suggestions? Is there a common-consent bible for growing healthy tomatoes?

If you're talking strictly about tomato diseases and diagnosis and treatment, when available, for the home grower, then I really don't know of such a book.

And you'd probably want a section on pests as well, and that makes such a book even rarer.

I have two tomato pathology books but treatment of diseases is really geared towards the commercial grower.

What I find so very lacking is info that tells folks which diseases and pests can be found in this or that part of the country.

Folks may come here to this Pest and Disease Forum and look at Problem Solver #2 and see something that may look like what they have and it may turn out that that disease has never been diagnosed where they live and garden.

Which is why I suggest that folks start their own threads here first, let someone try to give some guidance, then go look at pictures if it helps.

So, cutting to the chase and speaking just for myself, I don't know of a comprehensive pest and disease book written for the home grower that would include all that you ask for.

However the amount of info on the internet re tomato diseases and pests is wonderful, and some of the best sites are given in Problem Solver # 2 below.

Carolyn

• Gepetto1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn, let me thank you for the time and experience you volunteer to this forum. I'm new to it, but can appreciate the effort you've put into sharing your passion.

I've gardened my plot for 37 years now without much adversity, so when my luck ran out I was naive enough to assume I could simply search out a forum, throw up a picture of ailing vines and get an expert diagnosis. Thus my thread "Help diagnose dying vines (PIC)". Failing there while also discovering how many others were also frantic to save their crop from mysterious illnesses, I figured instead to jump ahead, purchase a manual with the help of this thread, and plan for next year. Failing in this second effort, I'm left scratching my head. I'm sure the door to Problem Solver #2 must be right in front of me, but I don't recognize it. When you say "...and some of the best sites are given in Problem Solver # 2 below", where is "below" and how do I get there from here?

Also, I understand that heirloom tomatoes are, as a rule, more disease resistant than hybrid varieties. Heirloom vegetables appeal to me, but frankly it's never occurred to me to investigate them until reading your personal page. Am more than willing to try this direction. How do I purchase a copy of your book on Amazon? What is the title?

• 1janetta0
    18 years ago

I am also wondering where 'Problem Solver #2' is.
    the only thing I see in front of me is my computer.

• Gepetto1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Janetta, "Problem Solver #2" is the title to a thread on this forum. It provides links to tomato pathologies and related matters (disease resistant varieties, treatments, growing methods, etc.). It is of such worth and value that contributors periodically bump it back to the first page of the forum. Look down the list of titles here and you will find it.

• farkee
    18 years ago

Gepetto, here is link for Carolyn's wonderful book that may start you down the road to ruination if you had not planned to grow way too many tomatoes for your space and family (ha ha). (I noticed that below it they mention that people also bought Tantalizing Tomatoes which is a nice little how-to book from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=QI1yYDfB6h&isbn=0761114009&itm=1