Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel597

Tomato Leaves Slightly Curling and Yellowing

rachel597
14 years ago

I noticed my Window Box Roma Tomato plants in a Self Watering Container showing slightly curling and yellowing leaves today. The leaves affected are uniform all over the plant from the new growth down to the old.

{{gwi:86973}}
{{gwi:86974}}
{{gwi:86975}}

I do have a few aphids on all my tomato plants now, but I can't see any other pests. Other tomato plants in different locations look fine.

Can anyone help identify this problem?

Please let me know if I can provide you with more information.

Rachel

GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

Comments (6)

• rachel597
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is some additional info:

The SWC is 18 gallon, with Miracle Grow potting mix, a handful of 9-12-12 fertilizer and a handful of Epsom Salt in a strip across the middle of the container at planting time. We have had a lot of rain and cool temperatures here in Maine, but the last three days have been sunny and in the mid to high 70s/50s.

Other tomato plants in different locations including one in the same type SWC look fine.

I suspected maybe magnesium deficiency except from everything I have read; magnesium deficiency affects the leaves on the bottom of the plant first, right?

Rachel
    GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

• jean001
    14 years ago

Don't know why you suspect magnesium deficiency. That's what you applied with the epsom salts -- magnesium sulfate.

You show us only a few leaves.
    Where are they on the plant?
    How many other leaves are affected?
    And what does the plant look like overall?

• rachel597
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jean001, thanks for your response.

The pics shown are about mid-way through the plant, but all of the leaves, from top to bottom, seem to be consistent in appearance.

Overall, the plant looks healthy and has been growing really well, exceeding the same plants in other parts of the gardens. There are no discolorations on the stems. Blooms are normal and not disfigured. Strangely, none of these leaves has turned brown or died yet either.

I was trying to id via comparison photos on the web and could only identify magnesium deficiency as somewhat similar. Also we have had a LOT of rain...over 10-inches since June 1st and I wondered if the epsom salts leached away? Of course I am just guessing and don't really have a clue.

Rachel
    GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

• jean001
    14 years ago

Well, if it's growing so well, I'd just watch for a while.

But it is true that 10 days of rain could be the culprit. Perhaps a dose of all-purpose dissolve-in-water fertilizer would perk things up.

But if you fertilize, understand that the leaves won't change their appearance if they are too old to react. Instead, you would be looking for no more symptoms on new leaves.

Off topic here. Just visited your blog and looked at the Garden Visitor images.

On the image at the lower left labeled "Rose chigger and Japanese beetle" perhaps you mean "rose chafer" instead?

• rachel597
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did dose with some liquid fertilizer yesterday, both sprayed on the foliage and at the base of each plant.

But before that, I also drilled an additional drainage hole on the opposite side of the SWC. Water did drain out of this hole right away...apparently the SWC isn't level. Therefore the roots were the probably receiving way more moisture than then was intended by using a SWC. Hopefully that is what my problem was. Time will tell, I guess.

Yes you are correct about the rose chigger/chafer mislabel. I will correct this. Thanks for letting me know.

And thank you again for responding. I will watch them very carefully.

• chillilover
    14 years ago

Tobacco mosiac virus?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner