Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_georgiapeach

Photo of Brandywine Leaf Problem

This Brandywine is not very bushy or as tall as my other Brandywines, but I can not figure out what is wrong with it. I have a couple other tomato plants that looks like this also, including a Roma. The leaves are a yellow/green and has purple veins. I tend to think it is a deficiency problem, but what kind?

Image link:

Comments (5)

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Shiela...show us the Top of it, please

• Sheila_GeorgiaPeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gimme3Steps: I will have to wait until day light to go out into the garden and take another picture. I can post photos on ImageShack, but don't know how to transfer the photos from there to here. Since they don't allow photos to be uploaded here in this forum except in the original posting, I can't use there method here to post another photo. I will be day light here in another 45 minutes and then I will get you another photo. In the mean time, I am going to try and figure out again, how to post a photo here from ImageShack.

• Sheila_GeorgiaPeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1300284}}

The above is an all over view of the plant.

{{gwi:1300286}}

The above is the top.

{{gwi:1300287}}

The above is a Roma that has the same problem. As you can see from the Roma, it is very small. Photos look larger than the actual plants. Click photos to enlarge.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I tend to think it is a deficiency problem, but what kind?

There are several candidates but rather than try to pin down one, which is often difficult, I'd spray with a fish or seaweed prep, both of which are rich in micronutrients.

If you see further symptoms please come back and share b/c I worry about you folks in GA and Tomato Spotted Wilt Disease, which does start with a purplish bronzing of the foliage.

Carolyn

• Sheila_GeorgiaPeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn: I have sprayed with Kelp, but not for a while. It seemed that every time I sprayed with something, even Kelp, it burned the leaves. I try spraying only in the evenings so the hot sun does not burn the leaves. Last year, you diagnosed my tomato plants as having TSWD and I pulled them all and burned them (No tomatoes that year). But these plants don't look the same as those I had last year. These start at the bottom of the plant and are yellowing with purple veins. The ones last year, started at the top, and especially the newest foliage at the top was effected--and the leaves themselves last year, had a purple tint. I thought this might be a phosphate problem because I bought some bone meal and feed it to the plants having this problem and it did seem to help some. But I hesitate about using more because I don't want to over do it--I was afraid the Nitrogen in the Bone Meal might make the plant bushy and stop producing blooms and fruit. In order to prevent Thrips and Aphids this year, I have occasionally spayed with Pyola & Bulls-eye from Garden Alive. What do you think do you think about a deficiency?
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County