Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_mc08

Dark grey spots, then yellowing on leaves of mature plants

Sarah_Mc08
9 years ago

Growing a variety of tomato plants (grew from seed) in my CT garden. Some plants are in self watering containers and others are in raised beds. I have Roma, Bloody Butcher, Rainbow Heirloom, Burpee's Big Boy, Cherry, Super Sioux, and Yellow pear. They all seem to have a yellowing (and then dying) leaf problem, starting with the oldest leaves and working up the plant. Before the leaves turn yellow I'm seeing dark grey spots/streaks on the leaf which then slowly becomes surrounded by bright yellowing. The problem seems to start underneath the leaf. All my plants are affected at different degrees, some have leaf curl others don't, but they all have the grey spot/streak issue. Growth isn't stunted and the fruit looks healthy.

I had heavy aphid infestation when I was hardening off before transplanting. I treated with insecticidal soap and neem oil and that appeared to take care of the problem. started seeing the issue a week or two ago (sunny and dry here for 2 weeks), but it has recently progressed in the last few days (rainy and humid the last three days) I saw whiteflies on the undersides of some leaves on all the plants a few days ago before the rains and treated again with neem.

I'm worried this aphid problem transferred diseases to my plants? Or do this look more like a pest problem? I'm leaning more towards disease though because we had a very cool early summer here in CT, followed by hot weather and then a few days of humidity and rain, and the problem seems to have worsened with the wet weather. But I can't figure out what disease it could be. any ideas? I have a few pictures below.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida