Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayside_flower

puzzling tomato illness

wayside_flower
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm am growing my first tomato plant (it's in a 14 inch container in full sun, fyi)and it seems to be having several problems, but I can't figure out what is wrong. The three principal symptoms are as follows:

1. The leaves are curling. Watering helps some, but not totally. I'm on drought restrictions, though, and cannot water daily.

2. A few of the peripheral branch stems (but not the main stem)have mysteriously turned brown in portions (midway, not close to the main stem), causing the rest of that branch to break off or droop.

3. The only other leaf distress I can see is there is some yellowing on the lower branches, and on leaves throughout the plant there is some faint spotting, but it looks more like the cholorphyll is broken down in spots than any sort of disease.

If it helps in determining the potential issue, I also have had some blossom end rot on recent tomatos. (My first two were fine; now I've had 3 or 4 with rot.) I've adjusted my watering patterns and I have two golf-ball sized 'maters that are still BER-free. (Crossing-fingers!)

I hope y'all can help me! If you need pics, I can provide them. Thanks!

Comment (1)