Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rat!?!? Please see pic :(

Posted by littlemary1234 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 20:28

Tomato fruit is being eaten right off the plant :( I'm guessing it to be rats, but I'm not quite sure. I'm devastated. I can't competely gate the garden but I do have steel fencing to keep out rabbits.
I've been shaking cayenne pepper on the plants. Today, I found the vermin had tested and spit out various maters. They didn't like the pepper obviously, but was determined to find one it could eat.
I don't want to lose more fruit to this danged animal. I put ventilated ziplock bags over the remaining larger fruits while I'm at work today.

Is the cayenne bad for the bees? Can it kill them? I've seen them sitting in the pepper as though its attractive
Also, will the ziploc prevent immature fruit from growing larger?

Please let me know ASAP, anyone, please. I'm new at this, beyond my budget, and need quick answers. Any help is totally appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rat!?!? Please see pic :(

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:43

Check out the link - towards the bottom of the page starting with squirrels.

Figuring out the culprit will help determine the method of protection...click on the animal name for detailed management.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Fruit Problems

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here