Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ripe Maters with black sections inside!

Posted by corin99 z7 North Carolina (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 20:37

Hi,

I've been finding that a lot of my tomatoes have hard, black sections inside them. No pattern as to location and no holes on the exterior. They seem just perfect on the outside, which makes it so disappointing when I slice them open. Any ideas?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ripe Maters with black sections inside!

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 21:20

It may be blossom-end rot, which sometimes doesn't appear on the outside. In this form, it's sometimes called "black heart".

Yeah, it's a terrible disappointment. Below is a reference to it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice outside/Black on the inside

o
RE: Ripe Maters with black sections inside!

Not many people know it, but blossom-end rot can create black spots inside the fruit, with no external symptoms. It's rare, but it happens sometimes.

The solution is the same as it would be with normal BER: even out the moisture levels, correct overly acid soil, and wait for it to go away.

There's a FAQ on BER in the main Growing Tomatoes forum.

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here