Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
where_with_all

How to treat wilt

where_with_all
18 years ago

Hello all

I have been a religious reader and sometime poster. The advice I get is great. I have growing tomato plants in my yard that are wilting. I pulled two already. I now have three more. Sun sugar and Anna Russian.

I don't think it is bacterial because I put a stem in water and did not get any oozy things flying out of it like its been described in the forum. No yellow leaves. Just drropy green leaves.

I do have some aphids on some of the leaves. I have sprayed insecticidal soap. I don't know if it is related but the bugs are now dead. I still have droopy leaves. Looks like I have not watered the plant in a week.

Is this fixable? Is it contagious? Can I use something organic?

Comments (11)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I don't think it is bacterial because I put a stem in water and did not get any oozy things flying out of it like its been described in the forum. No yellow leaves. Just drropy green leaves.

Was it an ASAP overnight wilt? Wilting all the time or recovery at night? How long has this been going on and why did you pull the first ones?

Any spots on the leaves and/or stems at all?

Any chance critters are in the soil messing around with the roots? What did the roots look like on the ones you pulled?

Raised by you or purchased locally or from somewhere else?

Carolyn

• where_with_all
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn

I pulled the roots out a week ago on the other two because I was scared it could have been contagious. The roots looked fine, but they were not very large. It almost seemed as if i had just planted it -- no growth.

It was not ASAP because you could tell something was going on with the plants. The leaves were barely drooping and curling and then it progresses to full droop and curl.

A little bit of revovery at night. However the trend line is progressively worse

I raised them myself from seeds.

I noticed the first two about a week ago. Pulled them out right away. At that time I noticed the other three were showing signs of the same. As of today, they look like the other two did last week.

Hope this helps.

I have pictures but there too big to post!
    But they really just look like tomato plants that have not bee watered in a while

Renzo

• NetKnockout
    18 years ago

I am having the exact same problem.
    I too pulled out the first plant that I noticed it on out of fear that whatever it was would spread, and then just this morning I pulled out two more that looked the same. Those three plants I had bought on-line. My plants are in a line which started with the three I bought on-line then it continued with plants I had started from seed, now it seems as if it is now affecting the plants I started from seed, which are of two different varities... I water them every other morning, and the have been fertilized with a side dressing of 10-10-10.... I don't understand and it appears that I am going to lose them all... Pictures:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/truebeauty74/album?.dir=/484c

Thanks Nikki

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Nikki, ( Renzo below)

Would you be kind enough to start your own thread here? Living in VA your possible problems would not be the same as someone living in NYS, and it does get confusing when trying to deal with two different situations in one thread, at least it does for me. Sigh.

Thanks.

Renzo, if not an ASAP wilting then we can eliminate several systemic diseases except possibly Verticillium is still a possibility.

Absolutely no change in leaf color?

Where in NYS are you. If I go back up to look at your page I lose this post and I don't want to do that.

have you had plants in this same area before with no problems?

BTW the normal plant habit of Anna Russian is wispy droopy foliage.

Carolyn

• where_with_all
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn

I live in Long Island. Just today I started noticing some yellow on the bottom leaves that were not there yesterday.
    Not sure if it is related. PLants are really starting to go down hill. I am debating pulling these too unless there is a cure.

I have grown anna russian before. I am no expert but I think this is not plain ole wispy droopy but REALLY BAD wispy droopy. The kind of wispy droopy that puts a pit at the bottom of your stomach.

I wish I could post a pic

Seems like this problem is running rampant on the boards
    Thanks for your help thus far

Any ideas???

I have had plants there before a few years ago.Don't remember any problem

Renzo

• where_with_all
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went back today and removed some of the yellow branches from the bottom. I swear they becam yellow overnight. Can this be blight??

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

I had a bunch of tomatoes wilt instantly when I realized one morning the roots had grown out of the pots and about 3 inches into the soil underneath them. I loosened free all the pots. The temps actually warmed up that day and about 50% of my lemon boys temporarily look like withered sad prunes. Sustained only burnt tips after soaking and finally planting in the ground.

I usually fatten up my plants in pots under shelter before they go in the ground. They probably werent getting enough water with the soiless roots exposed.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

No Renzo, yellow leaves o/n does not mean blight. I had Betsy my helper gal taking yellow leaves off the bottoms of several of my plants yesterday.

Blight has no meaning other than to indicate a plant might be "sick".

So we're back to no spots on the leaves, wilting with no color change of the folaige, as I see it.

Right?

That takes us back to Bacterial Canker, Bacterial Wilt and Southern Blight as being the most probable systemic diseases in your area that are seen with rapid wilting and no color change of folaige. Infection with Verticillium and Fusarium can result in wilting with leaves staying green if they grow out of it, but that isn't common. More likely it progresses and leaves turn yellwo then brown, etc.

Carolyn

• where_with_all
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK

thanks for your advice- any ideas on if the plants can be saved? what should I do?

really appreciate the insight. May be one day i'll be smart enough to do the same

• joannalarson96_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I am having the same problem. Some of my tomato plants, some varieties are worse then others, are droopy. They have plenty of water, but they look like they're in a drought. There isn't any brown or yellow leaves at all. I haven't noticed any aphids. Maybe a blight or virus? Should I pull the wilted ones? Is there a powder or something?
    I tried pruning back a lot of excess foilage to allow ventilation. I am doing some research, but I don't have any good leads yet. I'll post again if I find anything. Would appreciate any advice.

• Bets
    12 years ago

"I still have droopy leaves. Looks like I have not watered the plant in a week." and "A little bit of revovery at night. However the trend line is progressively worse"

where_with_all,

I have to wonder if the issue is not water related after all. How often and how much do you water?

Betsy

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz