Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganm_gw

Questions about Walnut Wilt

meganm
15 years ago

Hello,

This is my first post here so I hope you don't mind helping me out.

My tomatoes suddenly showed signs of wilt last Tuesday. It was after a big thunderstorm so at first I thought they were just damaged by the storm. They haven't recovered though, and the wilt is spreading throughout the plants (6 of them, one sacrificed for research purposes).

I did some research on causes of wilt think I've ruled out bacterial wilt (no signs of puss or white substances). The plants are near 2 walnut trees. One is about 12 feet away and the other (larger, mature tree), 20-25 feet away.

Four cherry tomato plants behind these are fine. I grew cherry tomatoes last year near this space with no problems. I did have some problems with the 2 larger tomato plants I had that survived but at the time I assumed it was something with the plants.

The wilt started at the top and stayed green until recently (we were away for the long weekend so I'm not sure what exactly happened over the last 4 days). The yellowing at the bottom is more recent.

Here are some photos:

(the stem cut open)

Is this walnut wilt? If so:

- do I need to remove the plants right away?

- will anything happen with the existing fruit? Will it continue to grow or will it stop?

If not, what could it be?

Thanks for any help :)

Comment (1)