Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

What is wrong with my tomato flowers?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Hi I have many tomatos 99% of them very very healthy. This one is the only one with this problem. It is also the only one planted in a pot. It is an heirloom and the flowers look funky. They look sort of double and distorted. Could anyone tell me what this is? Thanks

Distorted (with healthy flowers below/nearby) from front :

{{gwi:1300329}}

Distorted (with healthy flowers below/nearby) from above:

{{gwi:1300330}}

Comments (7)

• nctom
    18 years ago

I really don't believe you have a problem. Unless I missed it I only see the one bloom that's different. I can't explain why or how it happened but occasionally it does. It's two blooms that grew together. I think.

No worries.

On the other hand it could be a result of TOD (Tomato Obsession Disorder). My wife says I stare at my plants too much. :)

I just can't get her to understand.

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It really doesn't look normal at all. I've never seen a blossom like it. I was just looking for blossoms and noticed this one. It really looks different from the -healthy- one below that. It is much larger than a normal blossom, bumpy with little to no rays an different (round) shaped. ?

• nctom
    18 years ago

It doesn't look normal because it's not. Still it does happen from time to time. Chances are the plant will drop it. If it doesn't then you could have a whopper or atleast something else of interest.

I really think thats all it is but I'm sure you'll get other post. I've been wrong before but don't tell anyone.

Post some more pics if it sets fruit. Lets follow it to the table.

Have a great night.

• teresa_in_md
    18 years ago

Come now - you wouldn't love a deformed puppy dog any less would you? It's beautiful! Let it be! If it develops into a tomato, it might look funny but it would still be perfectly fine to eat. Keep us posted.

Teresa

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No I wouldn't throw out a "deformed" puppy (?????) but I also wouldn't eat its babies. Thanks nc. I'll leave it and see what happens. :)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Flowers,

It's just a double or triple blossom, normal early in the season, that has rotted.

Happens from time to time when there's been a lot of rain or plants are overwatered.

Just too much plant material crammed into one small area of that blossom so it can't dry out quick enough.

A week or so ago someone in the main forum showed a picture the same as yours, or maybe it was here, I just can't remember.

Carolyn

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carolyn. This is the only one in a pot (a gift for someone in an apartment with a balcony) and the pot only has one small hole. I thought it'd be good sincer her balcony is so hot and dry. That way it wouldn't dry out too fast. But my backyard is NOT hot and dry. It's much cooler even a few miles away here nearer the ocean and my backyard is blazing sun. We have also gotten terrential rains around here. It was nice at first because I didn't have to water but now its getting old. Some things in the garden are rotting and some blossoms (especially my poppies) are tattered and soaked. Not to mention my "beat down" lettuces. Oh well shouldn't complain..... drought would be worse. :) They're having an awful one in the Meditteranean. All their olives and oranges are dying.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm