Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gepetto1

Help diagnose dying vines (PIC)

Gepetto1
18 years ago

This plant was one of two, side by side, that began wilting back about two weeks ago. Searched around at the roots, but could detect no worms. Sprayed with diazanone anyway, to no avail. Vines continued to deteriorate, looking their worst midday. Pulled one loose two days ago and inspected it. Root system looked vital. No sign of problems in stem cross section.

Yesterday I noticed a third plant, adjacent to the first two, headed in the same direction. Is this fusararium wilt? The ground is new to tomatoes.

Diagnosis and recommendations appreciated. The situation may be viewed at the following url:

http://www.bowyersedge.com/images/Posts/tomatovine.jpg

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Yesterday I noticed a third plant, adjacent to the first two, headed in the same direction. Is this fusararium wilt? The ground is new to tomatoes.

Diagnosis and recommendations appreciated. The situation may be viewed at the following url:

How long has the one in the picture been wilting?

And the ones that started wilting two weeks ago, was there any change in the color of the foliage?

Does it start with just some branches wilting, or ALL branches wilting, and color change or not?

Any specific lesions on the leaves?

Did you raise these plants from seed or were they purchased?

Carolyn

• Gepetto1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The pictured vine is one of the original two, wilting now for approx. two weeks. Foliage never changed color, never yellowed, spotted or showed lesions until several branches off the main vine died about two days ago and then turned brown shortly thereafter.

The wilting started with just a few branch ends, progressing to the whole plant in the course of 8 to 10 days. At that stage it appeared severely water-deprived through the heat of the day, but would find relief through the coolness of night and by morning appear to be on the mend, only to have the cycle repeat.

Today, fearful of its spread, I took measures, pulling up all three vines and burning them in a brush pile. The vines of the first two plants did show a fibrous brown ring inside the stem near the roots, but the third, newly affected plant looked fine.

The tomato variety is Celebrity and I purchased it from a local greenhouse.

Thank you for your assistance. Short term, I'm hoping this does not spread to my remaining 21 plants.

• where_with_all
    18 years ago

This looks exactly like my plants

I just posted a request for help on this too!!!!

See my thread.

Gepetto1, your getting the same thing I am getting

Any help would be appreciated

• Gepetto1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm at a loss, Wherewithall. Worried now for my other plants. Noticed a fourth plant this morning, adjacent to the initial pair, showing a wilted stem to the top of the plant. I tried to avert my eyes and went about tending to pole beans and hoeing eggplant.

Have been a country gardener all my life, raising good produce, canning and freezing, growing a hundred broilers each year, trying to live right, but altogether lack the sophistication to comprehend this, and, most likely, to rebound from it. If manure, a hoe, rotenone and timely apps of sevin don't do it, I don't know where to turn. Searched out this website to post my problem. I guess I have to read more extensively, but so far the internet descriptions of various diseases and how to circumvent them have not been of great value to me.

Fruits are large and on the cusp of ripening. Usually can about 75 quts. of 'maters per year. That may be in jeopardy. If I gain insights or discover helpful information, I'll get back to you. If you come to a diagnosis or remedy, please let me know. Oh, one difference in desc. is that my pulled plants seemed to have vigourous root systems.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022