Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hows maters doing in the southern Heat

Posted by steve421 Tn (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 21:28

Hey all,

Just was curious on how everyones maters are doing in the South. A few weeks ago I pruned the heck out of my Mortgage lifter plants...was surprised to see that I had still quite a few on them like 6 per plant. The lower 3/4 leaves were all brown and shrivelled so I began to prune them off. I then continued to remove any leaves with yellowing. Well what I was left with in most cases is a 6 ft stick with a few leaves on the top...and of course all maters are completely open to the sun. Well these plants are still producing...and I see some new growth from the bottom on some plants...now my imitation red brandywine I havent touched yet...they seemed to hold up against any fungus which my ML I fought early blight repeately...the RBW hasnt produced many tomatos this season compared to my ML. I must say my ML tomatos are much smaller than earlier in the season but they still are as tasty.
What I plan to do soon is do the same to my RBW and tear out any early season plant that doesnt look healthy....Out of 40 plant I will probally be left with about 10 from my early crop. I have started BW suddith strain, Persimion, and Genevese consulta for my fall garden which I plan on setting plants close to next weekend...it has been in the upper 90's here, expecting to be around 100 for the next few days with no chance of rain within the week...I must say I think the heirlooms that I planted this year has held up much better than any hybrid I planted in the past...by now my tomatos would be all pulled...They say that better boys etc have better disease tolerance but once they are struck its over where my heirlooms seem to stay alive and productive with these fungi...anyways I cant wait till we cool off a bit down here...its been like this for too long...I am just about ready for our fall...

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hows maters doing in the southern Heat

All my tomatoes are showing stress in one way or another. I have 9 plants. I've been fighting blight or something. All that is except 1 and that's my Brandywine PL. I have 2 that are reg. leaf and the one potato leaf. I cant understand it...the BW PL looks great and has some very big and healthy tomatoes on it. Can't figure out why it's done so great since all the others are givin me a fit. But i'm glad it is..lol.
My tomatoes include Box Car Willie, Abe Lincoln, Santa Clara Canner, Brandywine Red (RL) and Brandywine (PL). I have 2 of each except for the BW PL...figures huh..if i'd known it was gonna do so well I'd have planted 4 of em.
Peggy

o
RE: Hows maters doing in the southern Heat

I am about to put my BW suddith strain in the ground....My Mortgage lifters well I would say about 50% have died due to this last week of 100+ degrees...I am about to wilt over as well...Thank god we are going to have a cold spell in the lower 90's for a few days

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here