Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve421

Hows maters doing in the southern Heat

steve421
17 years ago

Hey all,

Just was curious on how everyones maters are doing in the South. A few weeks ago I pruned the heck out of my Mortgage lifter plants...was surprised to see that I had still quite a few on them like 6 per plant. The lower 3/4 leaves were all brown and shrivelled so I began to prune them off. I then continued to remove any leaves with yellowing. Well what I was left with in most cases is a 6 ft stick with a few leaves on the top...and of course all maters are completely open to the sun. Well these plants are still producing...and I see some new growth from the bottom on some plants...now my imitation red brandywine I havent touched yet...they seemed to hold up against any fungus which my ML I fought early blight repeately...the RBW hasnt produced many tomatos this season compared to my ML. I must say my ML tomatos are much smaller than earlier in the season but they still are as tasty.

What I plan to do soon is do the same to my RBW and tear out any early season plant that doesnt look healthy....Out of 40 plant I will probally be left with about 10 from my early crop. I have started BW suddith strain, Persimion, and Genevese consulta for my fall garden which I plan on setting plants close to next weekend...it has been in the upper 90's here, expecting to be around 100 for the next few days with no chance of rain within the week...I must say I think the heirlooms that I planted this year has held up much better than any hybrid I planted in the past...by now my tomatos would be all pulled...They say that better boys etc have better disease tolerance but once they are struck its over where my heirlooms seem to stay alive and productive with these fungi...anyways I cant wait till we cool off a bit down here...its been like this for too long...I am just about ready for our fall...

Steve

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County