Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this BER?

Posted by Mike48858 z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 21:43

Hi all!

I have 2 Bush Early Girl plants potted in 5-gallon buckets. The plants are very vigorous and bushy. They both have 20+ small fruit growing on them.

During a major heat-wave last week, the plants became very limp and wilted, despite daily watering. Now, some of the fruit are developing sunkened, brown areas near the bottom of the tomato. It is not, however, at the bottom tip, where the blossoms were. It is scattered around the bottom of the fruit.

Is this BER? I always thought BER showed up at the very bottom of the tomato. Also, I have never had BER show up on container plants before, but I have never grown Bush Early Girl either.

Bush Early Girl - rotting fruit

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this BER?

YEP...All Day Long, Mike...thats BER.

o

Is BER caused by the plants getting wilted and then being watered? Could a lack of calcium also be a factor? Container tomatoes seem to need more supplementation that in-ground tomatoes.

o

A Tomato plant is Very Sensitive, when bearing fruit, to soil moisture fluctuation. It expects no such drastic fluctuation, and when grown in good tilthy earth, it will respond naturally, with it's roots, to resolve the issue to it's own content. Growin in a pot....it dont have that option...)))

o

During a major heat-wave last week, the plants became very limp and wilted, despite daily watering

I guess I'm the odd person out here, LOL, but to me it doesn't look like BER.

The conditions you describe could be allowing for any number of normal environmental bacteria and fungi to get into any breaks in the skin when conditions are damp and hot and there's little air movementand initiate a rotting process. Black Mold Rot can appear exactly as your picture shows.

And it could be BER as well, it really could, but you'll know in the next few weeks b'c if it is BER it will go away.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here