Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white speckled leaves

Posted by divine.miss.em 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 21:45

photo (7)

photo (8)

Many of my heirloom tomato plants have white speckled spots on the leaves (see photos). Not all of them are nearly as spotted as in the photo, but I chose an extreme case of it to photograph. I don't see any insects on the undersides of the leaves (note that in photo of underside it is not a lonely white fly, even though it appears as so). I am also seeing the same effect on the leaves of my mint and lemon balm, which are both planted together in a 5 gallon container, and last year this happened to my oregano. This has happened in years past but I think I ignored it. This year I want to solve the mystery! Can anyone assist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white speckled leaves

Looks like ozone(pollution) damage from stagnant,polluted air. I'm having the same problem with my garden that is close to the house/porch ell. I plan to try disturbing the air with oscillating fans on the porch and see if it prevents the f ozone and sulphuric pollution from settling on my affected crop plants. It also seems to be at its worst in humid climates with excess rainfall as we are having this year.
Once affected , the leaf eventually dies but tomatoes can be cut back and regrow/resprout and fruit normally. This is
only practical in small scale gardens.

o

Thanks for the idea, Dottie. I would be really suprised if it was indeed polluted air because I live in a small town with pretty clean air. The garden is in our backyard, not too far away from the house, but as far as I'm aware there aren't too many toxic airs coming out of our place - at least during the summer when there aren't any stoves or fireplaces burning. Do you think this could be a thrip infestation? I've noticed that only the lower half of the plant has foliage that is looking this way. The top half is beautiful.

o

Doubt it's thrips. Could be leafhopper.

Is it possible to post larger images so we can see more detail?

o

It seems like it could definitely be leafhoppers. I heard at the local nursery the other day that lots of customers are complaining about them, as we've had a hot summer. I inspected the tomato plants more carefully today, and some of them have this speckled damage only on the lower half of plant, and others have it on 3/4 of plant from the bottom up. Would a spinosad spray do anything to prevent their drinking?

o

Another close up.

o

Yes, leafhoppers.

If damage is only on lower leaves, perhaps they're done & gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here