Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbeysroad

Septoria overwintering?

abbeysroad
18 years ago

Is it likely to have issues with remesh tomato cages that have been left outside in winter as sources of septoria spread in following season? Also, what is the time frame for effectiveness of spraying Bravo? If it rains 8 hours later, do I need to reapply? What about 12 hours, 24 hours? What's the accepted standard? Thanks.

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Is it likely to have issues with remesh tomato cages that have been left outside in winter as sources of septoria spread in following season? Also, what is the time frame for effectiveness of spraying Bravo? If it rains 8 hours later, do I need to reapply? What about 12 hours, 24 hours? What's the accepted standard? Thanks.

Since all new infection with foliage pathogens are airborne, it really makes no difference what's left on the cages over the winter.

I can't answer your question about chlorothalonil without knowing if you're really using Bravo, which is a commercial prep usually available only to those with pesticide licenses.

There are different formulations of Bravo and I don't know what you have. I also don't know the rules and regs that would allow you as a non-licensed person, to buy it in your state. Here in NY state you couldn't.

So, some help on this would be appreciated.

Actually the dilution and spraying schedule should be on the bottle of concentrate/or the pamphlet attached to the bottle. Since Bravo is meant for commercial use the dilution is high b'c it's used in large tank sprayers for field application.

Carolyn

• abbeysroad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are correct, I will not likely be using Bravo, but rather a readily available chlorothalonil product (12.5 percent) from a nearby garden center. I was using the Bravo name after a search of State Extension publications on tomato disease control focusing on commercial production. With 300-400 plants, I'm not at that level. The information on dilution is certainly printed on the container, but nothing about application timing (early morning/late evening) or rain likelihood. I've removed 3 plants showing signs of septoria, and am preparing to spray to slow any further development, but don't want to waste time or money without knowing the effective window for application. Thanks.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Abbey,

That 12.5 % product won't do a thing, trust me on that.

What you need is either Ortho Garden Disease Control or the Bonide product that have about 29% Daconil in the concentrate.

And I know the Ortho product has detailed instructions, but in any case please ask again here if you get a 29% product that doesn't.

Carolyn

• abbeysroad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much for the heads up. The garden center product was the Ferti-Lome brand which recommended for tomatoes at 2t/gal. Comparing that with the info on the Ortho product at 3t/gal with a much greater concentration, suggests that the Ortho will deliver 3 times more active ingredient per application. The underutilization suggested by Ferti-Lome could lead to frustrating failure. Thanks for your guidance.