Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcleo

Is this verticillium wilt?

dcleo
18 years ago

Had septoria leaf spot early in the season. We've been treating with daconil ever since. Now this...

I spotted VW in the problem solver thread, and it looks kinda like what we came home from a long weekend away to find.

If it is VW (or, for that matter, if it is something else) what should we do? Does the plant have to go?

Many thanks,

DCLeo

Image link:

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

DC,

I can't tell Verticillium from Fusarium just by looking at a picture and in DC either one might be possible.

There is no treatment for either one but either one can also grow out of it if you're lucky, especially the V, so I wouldn't pull them up ASAP.

Are all of your plants affected?

Carolyn

• dcleo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carolyn for the speedy response.

Are you saying that it looks like either Verticillium or Fusarium to you? Oh no! My worst fears confirmed :(

We have 7 plants inground and 6 more in containers. All of the inground plants are affected, to varying degrees (Husky Red, a mystery cherry, and Russian Persimmon are badly affected -- Cherokee Purple, Empire, Yellow Pear, and Russian Cranberry just have some bad leaves). The inground plants are probably too close together. The containers are on a roofdeck and do not seem to be affected.

Is there anything at all I can do to improve the chance of survival?

Worried,
    DCLeo

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Are you saying that it looks like either Verticillium or Fusarium to you?

Nope, you were, re V. LOL

All I can see in the picture is one branch with some yellowish leaves and a few brown and I can't even tell if it's one branch that's wilted, but I assume you can and that's why you suggested V, and since F can give a similar picture that's why I said what I did.

Any other info you want to give re wilting of single branches or whole plant and whether you've grown there before and ever had this problem.

And could it be yellow leaves from waterlogged soils or whatever?

I'm just saying that from what you said and showed I can't really tell.

Carolyn

• dcleo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Any other info you want to give re wilting of single branches or whole plant and whether you've grown there before and ever had this problem.

Unfortunately, it's the whole plant. Several of them, actually. I've never grown here before.

And could it be yellow leaves from waterlogged soils or whatever?

Nah. I haven't watered much, and we've had some rain, but not a ton. I don't think it's water related. Only thing that I can think of is that overcrowding led to poor ventilation led to ???

I don't know that it's F or V or EB or LB. I just looked at the various picutres and thought that the pics of V looked most similar. I'm very sad about the whole dilemma. :(

Thanks again for your responses. One last question. How do I know to yank or not to yank?