Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjustice_gw

Should I use dishwashing liquid to kill bugs

MrsJustice
18 years ago

Hello Everyone

I used Ivory dishing liquid to kill bugs on my tomatoes Plants on my Big Beef and cherries. Some of the leafs on many of the plants are a little yellow.

I should have asked you forum members how much to use with a gallon of water.

The Tomatoes Plants was all beautiful before I saw that one of my beef tomatoes has an insect bit.

I hope I did not destroy my beautiful tomatoes plants, because of one plant, with one insect bit. Amen!!!

I did notice these small insects on the leafs of that small plant before spraying them all with the dishwashing liquid.

I think I did something wrong?

Can anyone help me on this subject of using soapy water, or what kind of soap to use on My tomatoes Plant.

(I did check on that one tomatoes plant where I saw the insects, and all the insects gone. )

Someone Help me understand what I did wrong, Amen!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (9)

• griley
    18 years ago

MrsJustice, I puchased an insecticidal soap from WalMart to use on my garden. I know that people do mix their own sprays using liquid dish detergent or oil but I'm not sure of the amount of detergent they use. I don't think you're supposed to use a lot, just a dab. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you. Good luck.

• MrsJustice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello griley

I have been reading so many books on gardening, that, as a beginner, trying to be a professional, sometimes we think we know it all, without thinking to ask a question.

Many books say "soapy water," as a house wife, I just assumed dishing washing liquid.

I now realized keeping bugs off my beef tomatoes, and my freebies Cherry tomatoes is not going to be easy as growing tomatoes in my flower garden like last year.

Last year was the first year of growing beautiful tomatoes, so petty, I displayed them on my dinning room table.

All the plants grow over seven feet high. My reading of many post on this forum, all the members cherry tomatoes grew that high too.

I truly want to have an all natural garden, using no chemical at all in the big garden, especially on my tomatoes plants.

I will go to Walmart and read the back of the insecticidal soap, and directions to see if you need to rinse the plants off.

I notices that there are not bugs on my plants, maybe I kill them all, although that may not be a good thing, because I have realized from you-all that there are good bugs and mites, like lady bugs.

Well, thank you.

MrsJustice

• MrsJustice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear griley and Everyone:

I have good News.

My tomatoes Plants are doing well, Amen!!!

I cut off all the yellowing leaves, that left some of the looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

They all have new growth, and more very Green Tomatoes (both the Cherries Freebies and the Beef Tomatoes.

I will use an Insect Killing Soap Product thanks to (griley), because it have Some natural additives like Seaweed Extract.

The Directions do not call for rinsing, but to cover the plant completing when there is sign of insect problems.

It seems that covering the Tomatoes plants Completely will be a lot of work. Hopefully many plants will not have a problem.

Also, this produce have potassium salts of fatty acids. I have learned a lot about potassium from many of you professionals web sites.

90% of the other ingredient or not listed, like other Soapy Products, that concerns me, so I will use this product until someone finds out how much liquid soap to use per gallon, because this produce do cast money to help a large Garden.

But I have learned my lesson, and will only use new products on just One plant at a time.

Or Ask a question to you-all first.

Have a Bless Day

MrsJustice

• griley
    18 years ago

MrsJustice,
    I'm glad your tomato plants are looking better. If you do a yahoo or google search for organic insecticidal spray recipes you should be able to find something that will be more economical. Most of the sites said to mix about 1 tbsp. of detergent to a gallon of water and avoid spraying when plants are in direct sunlight. I would also only spray the bugs directly- I never completely covered a plant. Hope all goes well.

• MrsJustice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you gcriley so very much.
    I am glad they are doing well, I was so upset with myself.
    I will search for organic insecticdal spray recipes tonight, and maybe the next time I go fishing I will get the seeweed in my garden.
    Again thank you very much.

• worth1
    18 years ago

DearMrsJustice,
    This is what I found on the Internet you might try this just remember (not) to use a detergent soap. You can type in insecticidal soap on the web and get all kinds of information.
    I hope this helps.Bless You
    Worth
    Soap has been used for centuries as an all-purpose pe sticide. It disrupts insects cell membranes, and kills pests by dehydration. The key is not to use too much soap, or youÂll also kill the vegetation near the pests. If you follow the proportions of soap to water in the Soap Spray recipe, below, the vegetation should be fine. Note: Buy a liquid soap and not a detergent. Health food stores have liquid soaps, such as Dr. BronnerÂs Pure-Castile Soaps. Soap Spray 1 to 2 tablespoons liquid soap1 quart water Combine ingredients in a bucket, mix, then transfer to a spray bottle as needed. All Purpose Pesticide Soap SprayStrong smelling roots and spices such as garlic, onions, horseradish, ginger, rhubarb leaves, cayenne and other hot peppers, are all known to repel insects. A handful of roots and spicesEnough boiling water to cover Soap Spray (recipe, above) Add the roots and spices to the bottom of a mason jar. Cover with the boiling water, screw on the top, and let set overnight. Strain, and add to the Soap Spray. Note that this will rot, so use it all up or freeze leftovers for another time. Variation: Garlic SprayUse 1 to 2 heads garlic. Deer and rabbits hate the smell of garlic.

• MrsJustice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Mr. Worth,

This will be very helpful to be, an affordable, Amen!!!.

• treefrog17_msn_com
    12 years ago

I would like to know if you can use the soapy water that comes out of your washing machine to water your veggie plant tring not to waste anything. I think I know what the answer is but I thought to ask anyway. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Thank you for that link. I didn't know insecticidal soap would work against beetles, since they're hard-shelled. I have some stuff called Organocide that I bought for aphids (and never used - water was enough). Would that work? Label doesn't say, says eggs, nymphs, larvae of all insects and adults of soft-bodied insects.

So if that won't work, I do have some cow's milk soap made with milk and glyercin - does it have to have lye to be effective?