Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle9493

Funky Tomato Stem

Michelle9493
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the heck this is? Otherwise the plant is fine, but it looks really nasty.

Thank you VERY much!!

Michelle

Comments (12)

• nctom
    18 years ago

I can't remember what it's called but I wouldn't worry. The stem is trying to grow roots. If you were to pull dirt up around it they would continue to grow.

That is alot. I can't recall seeing quite so much as that. Still wouldn't worry though.

Just curious as to if you are using a soaker hose and are watering frequently. If the hose is wetting the stem and you water alot that may be it. - just a guess.

• Michelle9493
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No I am using a wand and it is very gentle. Thanks for your input like I said the rest of the plant is fine no wilting or yellowing and plenty of fruit. Just looks really nasty. Should I try and put some more dirt around or just leave it?

Thank You

Michelle

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Michelle,

I'm saying the same thing I said before, LOL, and it's root primordia.

if there were wilting or other symptoms we could pursue something else.

Yes, I did get your e-mail with attached picture, yes, I did download it and then I couldn't find it ( I have a new computer and don't know what the heck is happening as to downloads and labelling), but if it's the same as what you show here, I still say it's root primordia as I did here last week.

It may look nasty to you, but really, it's quite common.

Carolyn

• groovy1
    18 years ago

Carolyn,

1. I have the same thing going on my tomato plants, I think it's from all the rain we've had last week? (I'm 45 minutes south of you)

2. My fiancee' is from Colonia-everywhere I go someone is either from there or knows someone from that little tiny town!

Good Luck,

Mark

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

(I'm 45 minutes south of you)

I don't think so. I live less than a mile from the NY/VT border on the other side of Egg Mt from Manchester, VT. LOL You're probably thinking of what's called South Salem, which is nearer to the city.

2) My fiancee' is from Colonia-everywhere I go someone is either from there or knows someone from that little tiny town!

I used to live in the Town of Colonie, which is just north of Albany, actually Loudonville when I was growing up, and then when I moved back East from Colorado I moved to Latham, also in the Town of Colonie, but in 1999 I moved an hour north to where I now live after I was forced to retire b'c of hip problems.

Carolyn

• Michelle9493
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, and believe me I wasn't doubting you I really wanted to show the pic to see if anyone else had it in my area

Thanx

Michelle

• sunflower71
    18 years ago

I'm not in your area, but I get this every year due to the humidity in my growing area.

If you let the tomato vines lay down on the ground instead of staking them, those root primordia will grow into roots firmly attached to the soil. I found this out the hard way with a couple of plants that I didn't stake up promptly.

If you hang around this forum (also check out the Tomato Diseases forum), you will see your question come up again and again...it's a common question, usually titled something like "Are these insect eggs?" :)

Happy tomato growing,
    Shaila

• sunflower71
    18 years ago

Oops sorry, I should have said the Tomato forum in my previous post, not the Tomato diseases forum. Can I blame it on the heat? :)

Shaila

• Michelle9493
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you ev everyone for your input, and Shaila I didn't think to look at ....."insect eggs" because when I touched it and kind of picked at it i thought it was part of the plant itself, so thank you I will check it out.

Michelle

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Shaila I didn't think to look at ....."insect eggs" because when I touched it and kind of picked at it i thought it was part of the plant itself, so thank you I will check it out.

Michelle,

What Shaila is saying is that folks come here to the Pest and Disease Forum and show pictures, or describe what they think are insect eggs but they are the same root primordia your have on your plant.

Not insect eggs at all, but root primordia. And the root primordia ARE part of the plant itself per your comment above.

Carolyn

• groovy1
    18 years ago

Oops sorry Carolyn that post about Colonia and being 45 minutes south was meant to be to Michelle9493. Thanks a lot for your input on catfacing in my other thread btw...

My stems are starting to look a bit nasty too, not quite as bad as those, but I looked again last night and have an obvious case of it.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Oops sorry Carolyn that post about Colonia and being 45 minutes south was meant to be to Michelle9493. Thanks a lot for your input on catfacing in my other thread btw...

I saw the Colonia after I posted, LOL but thought you were referring to the town of Colonie/

My stems are starting to look a bit nasty too, not quite as bad as those, but I looked again last night and have an obvious case of it.

Not a case of it, please, root primordia are perfectly normal. ( smile)

Carolyn