Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato leaves black edges

Posted by SirZoltan z7 - Albuq NM (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 23:33

Please help!

On one of my tomato plants [maybe 2], the edges of the leaves are turning a dark brown or black and shriveling up [of course]. To clarify, not all of the leaves but several of them are showing this problem. There is damage to the leaves only - there is no damage to the stem.

Also in case this is important - I ran out of places to plant in the ground this year so these are in "really" big pots. Only the tomato plants in the pots are showing this problem. The ones planted in the ground look fine and healthy.

Any idea whats wrong?

Please find a pic attached.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato leaves black edges

What kind of pots are they? It is possible that plant roots are getting too hot because the pots are getting too hot. Try slipping yours into another larger pot that will help keep the pot the plant is in cooler.

o

Only the tomato plants in the pots are showing this problem. The ones planted in the ground look fine and healthy.

And therein lies the problem.

Growing in containers, especially in your hot area, is a challenge. You really need to sometimes water them a couple of times a day. Since you said BIG pots I assume that crowding is not a problem.

Even if you could shade them as several of my friends in NM do, might help. They use those shade cloths you can buy there locally.

Carolyn

o

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 21:46

SirZoltan, I have never seen necrotic edges like that in pictures of diseases, etc so I did not hazard a guess. Did you find out anything? Did it progress?

I have read that potassium def. can effect leaf margins but again I have not seen anything quite like that at reference sites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here