Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootswisc

healthy growth off of blighted plants

tootswisc
17 years ago

My elderly mother gets so much joy out of her tomatoes. Unfortunately, wilt and blight have just about finished off both of her plants. What is left is nice tomatoes on nearly leafless stems-I cut off all the blighted leaves. But I see healthy growth at the base of the plants. I was thinking about adding more soil to the pots, mulching them straw and using cornmeal or diluted milk sprays. Do you think this might work?

Comments (3)

• bcday
    17 years ago

Adding soil and mulch will probably help. I never saw any improvement with cornmeal, and powdery mildew is the only thing that milk helps with in my garden.

You need to figure out what specific kind of wilt and blight your plants have, because what works for one kind won't work for another. Look through some of the links in the "HELP!!! Tomato Problem Solver 2" thread in this forum to see if you can identify your plants' problem(s). Or maybe you can post some good close-ups of diseased leaves here.

If the "blight" your plants have Early Blight or Septoria, you need something with Daconil (chlorothalonil) in it. Get Ortho Garden Disease Control or Bonide Fung-onil from a garden center. This won't kill disease that is already on infected leaves, it works by sealing healthy leaves so the blight spores can't get in. That means that next year, you should start using it in the spring before you see any blighted leaves so the disease can't get started and your mother won't have to watch her tomatoes lose their leaves. It works for ornamental plants too, so you can probably find other uses for it besides just tomatoes.

If the "wilt" you had was a systemic wilt such as Verticillium wilt, no spray will work. It's caused by a fungus that will live for years in the soil, and the only way to prevent it next year is to discard the soil from the pots, use bleach to disinfect the pots and any gardening tools you used, and buy fresh sterile bagged potting soil next year.

But try looking through the "HELP!!! Tomato Problem Solver 2" thread to find out exactly which wilt(s) and blight(s) your plants have, because there is no one single cure-all that works for everything, and I only suggested a couple of the more common diseases that are likely suspects.

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is verticillium. We do use new soil and sterilize everything. It is in our soil and a constant battle. I have had success using organic control in past years. It is just so time consuming to keep my tomato plants healthy. In my garden I plant alot of tomatoes because I know I will have problems. I love heirlooms so that only adds to my problems. I never water at night, mulch heavily to prevent splashing, pray that weather will be good-of course I think that means hot and dry. Last year we had great luck. I bought my mother's plants already potted up and I think it was contaminated soil.

I have a wonderful looking plant that I planted late. It is somewhat small and does not seem to have leaf problems. It has small tomatoes on it and I was thinking of putting it in a pot for her continued enjoyment-do you think I could transplant it succesfully. My plan would be to try to dig around and take as much of the roots as possible and keep it in a shaded area until it recovers

• stage_rat
    17 years ago

Yes, many people on this forum, including me, have successfully transplanted even large plants. Dig up a nice huge ball of dirt along with the roots, immediately repot it, (5 gallons or larger, unless this is a tiny tiny plant) and keep it moist and in the shade as you mentioned. It should do well!