Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

Lemon Boy Lamentations

raisemybeds
18 years ago

Well no sooner had I yanked my half-browned wilted Yellow Pear, then I noticed some wilting and yellowing on the big huge Lemon Boy. The yellowing/wilting did not appear to be closely associated - just some yellowed lower leaves like you might see on any plant after a hard rain which we just had. Then I saw that certain whole "sections" of the Lemon Boy were wilted, although they were completely green and had grown well until just now. Closer inspeciton revealed stem lesions, dark brown, on most of the lower half of the plant, especially pronounced at the "v"s where branches shoot off. When I cut some of the sections off near the base of the plant I could see that the inner "core" or water delivery system was turning brown and some of it was quite rotten looking. This plant was from one of the home centers, I think. I did not grow it from seed. Probably Fusarium, yes? Should I pull it? Too bad to see this because it is loaded with green fruit and still looks vibrant for the most part. I had a great Lemon Boy last year growing out of a lasagna bed - it cranked until frost. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments (4)