Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osga34

Spotted wilt virus or Septoria?

osga34
9 years ago

or something else?

Only my potted plants are affected (two out of 5), I think they are both brandywine. My druzba plants and in-ground brandies are holding up but I am keeping an eye on them too.

They're planted in general potting soil with peatmoss and perlite + a little composted manure, with ground eggshell and a little lime and epsom salts added. They also get manure tea, once or twice per week.

All plants are mulched with shredded paper and dry leaves, and have had the bottom 1' of foliage removed, gradually, since they were planted.

We've had some unusually cool and wet weather for the past 3-4 weeks, which is what I believe has contributed to the problem, if not even caused it.
Weather has now picked up a bit and most plants have perked up, but a few of them (all potted ones) have developed odd looking little spots/bumps. I removed the funny looking leaves and sprayed all my plants with 1:10 milk-water solution once, a week ago. It seems to have helped some but these two plants have gone worse. I will spray everything again tomorrow.

The spots are randomly distributed, all over the plants, not just the bottom leaves. There are even spots on the top, fresh growth. Would that mean the disease didn't come from soil but other source (e.g. thrips=spotted wilt virus)?
I have not noticed any little insects, but then again maybe i'm not looking carefully enough..

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (7)