Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
powdery mildew on cherry tomato plants?

Posted by lilyplanter1 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 4:21

I have some cherry tomato plants that were doing very well indoors with grow lights, but I had to move them onto my balcony in late June. A couple weeks later they began developing a white growth over the stems and leaves. I did some research and came across powdery mildew, but several sources say that it only grows on leaves. I went ahead and got GardenSafe Fungicide3 spray, which has the active ingredient extract of neem oil. I sprayed pretty heavily a couple weeks ago and within a couple days, all the leaves began wilting and dying. I have seen growth of some new leaves though. There was still some white growth as of tonight and I just did another light spray. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: powdery mildew on cherry tomato plants?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 18:58

Don't know why no one responded earlier. And even though it's likely too late for the problem you had, I'll make a few comments.

Because you saw problems so soonafter spraying, I suspect something went wrong with the application timing or weather.

For one, I see you're in CA. So, what were the temperatures at that time? Anything 85F or above on the day of spraying will damage plants.

And what does "heavily sprayed" mean? Any spray should only lightly cover all foliage.

And because I'm not familiar with the product, is the stuff safe for tomatoes?

Beyond all that, you need to know that few fungicides get rid of any existing disease. Instead, they are applied to protect the new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here