Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sproutling

P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves

sproutling
14 years ago

Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux pas. I have 3 plants of different varieties, heirlooms, and Hybrids. All 3 plants are in large pots. Pots are closely adjacent, up against a wall in the only sunny spot I have,others still OK. Everybody was doing fine until the top, new leaves on Pink Brandywine started curling up. Still growing fast, still bright spinach green, but getting more weird bumpy curling each day. After a week, the curl started migrating down the stalk, affecting lower, healthy, previously well-established leaves. I wondered if it was a deficiecy, bug, disease, or what. Mutant plant, still going strong. I took several pics. But it took me so long to succesfully get an account here, the whole plant is now affected. Any guesses? I have a guess, but don't want to affect the consensus.

Image link:

Comments (9)

• zeligbass
    9 years ago

Hi there.

I'm reviving a 2009 post here simply because the description and image are identical two what I am experiencing with my Brandywines (also pink) which all suffer of the leaves symptoms described (and shown in the image,,,) above. I have about 25 tomato plants that are fine, all except the Brandywines (seems like all but one Brandywine plant are infected... They are still young though, about 1' tall... I know, I started very late...)

Any help?

Thanks. Ilan.

• aulani
    9 years ago

I hope you guys get an answer soon. I have similar experience with Brandywines. Leaf curling. None of my Purple Cherokee or Celebrity are affected even though they are adjacent. I have sworn to plant nothing but Purple Ch and Celebrities only next year.

• Chris
    9 years ago

Another thread bump. Anyone know what this is? My Brandywines have the same thing

• justme14
    8 years ago

Here it is, May of 2015, and I too have this same affliction. Brandywine only. And like aulani, my Celebrity, Cherokee Purple and Manitoba are not afflicted. EVERY year, I have some kind of issue with Brandywine. This will probably will be my last year trying them; they seem to be very susceptible to disease. I did try a natural spray for aphids, fungus, molds and spider mites. Maybe that will help?

If this doesn't go away soon, I might just pull it up. Too many years I have struggled with Brandywine, only to get a few low-grade tomatoes, while other varieties thrive. If anyone can tell for sure what this is, I am all ears!!!

• aulani
    8 years ago

It's me, aulani, again. It's the 24th of May, 2015, and I did break down and planted two Brandywines even though I promised I wouldn't. The plants are very young yet, only about a foot tall, and so far so good on the leaf curl, but it has been incredibly rainy here in Eastern Kansas with not a clear sunny day in ten days or so. Many people's gardens are flooded, but I'm lucky to have good drainage in my raised beds. Still, my plants are looking very leggy from the lack of sun. However, my Sugar Snap Peas are loving all this cool weather and are lush and full of flowers. I'd never expected to have peas at this late date. Still and all, will keep an eye on the Brandywines. Hope to hear how all of your Brandywines are doing too. Let's keep each other posted.

• justme14
    8 years ago

Aulani - I look forward to hearing how your Brandywines do. Mine has grown to a pretty large size, but the leaf curling continues; in fact, it has worsened. This very same thing happened to me the last 2 years, and the tomatoes it produced were not as sweet at the others, and the skin was rather rough; almost scaly.

I have just replaced this Brandywine with a Black Prince. I live in the 4-Corners area, and we too have had a lot of rain. We also have cold nights still. Because I am at high altitude, I still have my tomatoes in pots in the greenhouse, and probably won't be able to put them in the garden ground for another 2 weeks. (The broccoli is LOVING this weather!)

Maybe I will try Brandywine again sometime. I had 2 Black Prince last year, and they were very prolific and sweet. Much like a Cherokee Purple, but the size of a Roma. Good luck, and please post your Brandywine outcome! It is such a lovely tomato when it grows properly -

• justme14
    8 years ago

Thought I would add a picture of the Brandywine I got rid of today. The curling and bumpiness just got worse. And I did try a good spray for mites, fungus, aphids, general diseases.... didn't work.

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    8 years ago

looks like it got crossed with dinosaur kale ! Brandywine always do good for me here in my Southern Maryland garden ... as long as the deer or squirrels do not help themselves !

• sshrivastava
    7 years ago

Those bumps are edema of the leaf. Generally a downward curl would indicate excess moisture and/or excess nutrients. The leaf edema could also indicate excess nitrogen. This doesn't look like pests or disease. I would say back off on the watering and see if it improves. If it does, you've found the issue. If it doesn't, then it could be excess nitrogen and you might try fertilizing this particular variety less.