Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryveg

Tomato problems con't. 3 -Anthracnose

terryveg
15 years ago

I sent some photos into the U of Illinois extension service and was told by the horticulturist this was most likely anthrcanose caused by a fungus. I was told to dispose of plants after they bear fruit. Wash tools and look for seed or plants that are marked disease resistant (LOL) She said to treat plants for this disease in the early stages with a fungicide. (we did not know we had a problem until fruit came on and brought inside house. As I said before, plants looked good) Nutritonist at the University said we can still eat fruit, but cut off bad places if slightly bruised, don't can them, but can cook and freeze them safely. This disease can be spread from ash and maple trees etc. She said to Rotate crops.

We have a real bounty going on, the plants still themselves look healthy only the fruit is going bad quick. Once it is picked the sunken in places appear quickly. We are throwing many away sadly as we don' want to share with anyone else this type of fruit. Even our cherry tomatoes got it, so did the early girls, however they seem to be lasting longer before the depressions start.

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks to the others who answered my earlier posts.

Image link:

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor