Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fmcandrew

Tomato & Eggplant Disease

fmcandrew
11 years ago

Need help, I live in a region with hot, dry summers. My veggie garden (fenced about 16'x 24') and has been affected by what I think is either verticillium wilt or fusarium wilt by the look of the symptoms displayed (yellow leaves, started from the bottom, crispy & curled too). I had the problem last year also but rotated the plantings this time (although not far away since the spaced is defined) hoping to avoid the problem. I bought grafted tomato & eggplant plants this year too but to no avail. It has damaged my tomato, eggplant, butternut plants (so far the butternut is ok, I've been removing the yellowing leaves but doesn't seem as productive as was prior years). The tomatoes have produced many fruits but the taste & consistency is not good. I made sauce from the tomatoes instead, cooking them down substantially so I hope the taste will be alright, seemed a shame to throw them away not to mention the cost. The eggplant was fine at first and produced good fruit but the last batch was full of seeds so I tossed them. I grow strawberries & asparagus in the same space which did very well this season. My question is what do I have to do to get rid of the problem, I read I will have to cover the area with plastic film to attract heat that kills the fungus bacteria and let it sit for 2 - 3 years to rid the soil of the problem. Is there a better solution?

Comments (6)