Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Result of too much Rain?

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 10:21

Here is what seems to be happening to 1/2 my tomato plants.

I plant in multiple areas in the yard and it is happening in most areas.

Everything looked good before the 13" of rain in 13 days.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Result of too much Rain?

13" of rain is more than enough to cause all sorts of fungi and bacteria to take over Dean. Heavy mulch would have prevented some of it but it is too late to worry about that now. ;) And with 13" - even mulch won't prevent molds, fungi, and bacteria from developing.

I can't see any of the leaves close-up well enough to be specific so you could be seeing several different processes going on (blight, bacterial spot, nutritional deficiencies, etc.). You can try spraying with a fungicide (Daconil or Ortho) and see if you can't slow it down - it will take repeated sprays - but once it gets established elimination is impossible.

Meanwhile I'd remove all the infected foliage and some of the good leaf branches to eliminate the overcrowding there and improve the air circulation in among the plants. Then hope it will dry out weather-wise. Good luck.

Dave

o
RE: Result of too much Rain?

My plants look exactly like this. I posted earlier (Yellow Leaves)and added a pic. I've recently learned that I've been over watering and I suspect this is the cause. I also have some pretty heavy growth and not much air circulation around some plants. Could this be the reason it's taking what seems like an extraordinarily long time for my tomatoes to ripen?
Thanks,
JohnH
SE Virginia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here