Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondie69_gw

Black Krim with curling top leaves and spots

blondie69
18 years ago

Hi, I'm new to gardening and have undertaken, at least I think so, a good-sized garden this year. I have planted 17 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes, and I have one lone plant, my Black Krim, that has started to look a little tough. I didn't get them in the ground until the first week in July, and all plants are doing remarkably well and growing. However, I've noticed in the last week some curling leaves on the top few branches in combination with some almost greyish-brown splotches on the leaves. They aren't a true spot, but more uneven with undefined borders. I've been reading dozens and dozens of these threads and doing research, but can't seem to pinpoint the problem. I spoke with Laurel yesterday, and she recommended I come to this web site for some possible answers. I have a nice 2 to 3 inch mulch of straw in my tomato bed, and I've used fish emulsion for fertilizer as recommended. Any ideas on what it could be?

Comments (2)

• nctom
    18 years ago

I'd love to try and help you while we wait for the Calvery to get here.
    Did the curling coincide with the leaf splotches?
    Which way are the leafs curling? Upward curling of leaves in itself is fairly comon and usually disconcerning.
    Any texture to the splotches? Like mold.
    I have had brownish purplish spots before that I believe were a result of using liquid kelp and fish emulsion. Some sort of sun burn or reaction.
    Have you had a problem with insects like aphids,thrips or anything else.
    If you have any fruit yet do they show any problems? If you don't have fruit you are pushing the envelope before frost in your area.

I'll share this much now.
    There is only so much you can do to stop or slow fungal or bacterial disease. You can spray with a copper based spray or Ortho garden disease control, they should be available to you at home stores or nurseries.

Viral infections usually means the plant needs to be removed before infection spreads. Spreading is in most cases done by insects.

The key for best success is prevention. Keep your garden free of weeds(great bug hangouts)and remove old plants and discard in the trash can.Add plenty of organic material to your soil. There is good microbes and bacteria in organic matter/compost that will help fight off the bad stuff. Lastly put down a good layer of mulch each year.Watering with a soaker hose is also a god idea if you do water.

Good luck, keep your post near the top.

• blondie69
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. I spoke with a local garden "expert" who's on the news all the time on the phone and described things to him. He believes, after describing it to him and the various other symptoms in other plants - one zucchini plant and my second plantings of green beans, that it's a calcium/magnesium deficiency in the soil. I got some Nutri-Cal that you add to water and put on the foliage, and he also recommended a fungicidal spray to apply as well. I did that immediately when I got home last night. As I was doing so, I noticed on one very top leaf of my Lime Green Salad plant that there was a cluster of little bugs - turns out to be aphids - so I have to get something to spray for that. I just recently moved back to my hometown and am living in my grandparents' former house in town because of my father's poor health, so they are beside themselves with the fact that I'm so worried about my garden. I just can't help it, I put so much work into it and it's my first, so can't help being a little proud. I did think about pulling it out before it spread to any others, whatever it was, but think I should give the calcium spray a couple days. Have also read about applying dry milk around the plants and mixing epsom salts with water. Hate mixing so much stuff in when I'm not sure what I'm doing. I appreciate any information. Thanks so much.