Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_gilbert62

Black Krim drying up

Chris Gilbert
10 years ago

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K3TBXtG_ZNI/UguqPohQiTI/AAAAAAAAAOk/Vuob5hSFbEg/s640/059.JPG

Here is a link to the image of the affected leaves that are drying up. My Amana Orange that is next to it is also having an issue, but instead of browning and the leaves dying, they are simply completely turning yellow and slowly browning. It does not necessarily seem to be a blight, I did fertilize a couple weeks ago with a very small side-dressing of miracle grow, and about a week before then I made some compost tea for the first time, and then afterward my plants started showing symptoms of stress, but all different among each plant. My cherokee purple plants are putting out a lot of new growth, flowering, but at the same time the new growth is yellowish and small necrotic patches are formed on the new growth.

It has recently become VERY cool for late July and August here in Iowa and I have ground covering over my partially raised bed. Checking the soil ( I have not watered it for a while with these cool temperatures, but it is still pretty moist around 4 inches down). The soil has been amended and tested with a pH around 6 with lime added at blossoming, compost, and so forth. All other nutrients tested well at the beginning of summer. In addition, I have had some aphids around and whiteflies are EVERYWHERE!!! I repeat EVERYWHERE!!! I'm treating the plants with Fertilome Triple Action Plus II, which is 70% neem oil, to try and control the pest issues.

I feel I've overwhelmed anyone who has read this, but I am overwhelmed with the misfortune this season has taken. I'm a second year gardener, but nevertheless I have learned a lot in the past 2 years about plants and what is necessary for a fruitful garden, but I don't think I've had enough experience to deal with this strange season we've had and the problems it has brought on completely opposite of last year when the temps were much higher and the season was dry all year.

Anyway, I'm sure this is more theraputic for me to discuss, rather than helpful for someone to diagnose my problem, but I think the issue may be my soil has too much clay still and all the water and cool weather has suffocated the roots of my plants. Any opinions are greatly appreciated, I enjoy reading this forum!

Below is a picture of the Purple Cherokee new growth

Comments (5)