Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretzky099

Question on early blight

gretzky
18 years ago

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding early blight. I believe I have this on one of my early girl bush hybrids. I read an excellent article by Carolyn (funny how many times she pops up if you do a search on tomatoes or tomato diseases!) on doityourself.com and think this is what has hit my plant. First time ever for a tomato disease for me, so yay...I'm now in the club, I guess.

Anyway my bush early girls aren't so early because I got them out late and they are in containers. Doing quite well until this week, however. I have begun harvesting fruit but then noticed the blight last night. Well, I've rambled enough...here is my question. I realize it is

probably not possible, but does anyone know if early blight can infect other types of plants? Or can tomatoes become infected by fungal diseases of other plants?

The reason I ask is that a rose bush in close proximity has a similar problem, as does my crabapple which isn't too far away. I'm just curious is all. I know that it's probably just a good indication that conditions were right for these types of fungal diseases and that everything has got it's own little specific beastie, but just thought I'd ask. I'm guessing it's apple scab on the crabapple and black spot on the rose, but not having had any of these problems before I don't know exactly what to expect and can't seem to find any information on just how specific they are to a certain host. Thanks in advance for any information. :) - Mark

Comment (1)