Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Recommendation for European Product

Posted by pcsqueen SHAPE, Mons (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 14:06

HEEELP!!!
Here's hoping that some avid reader has lived in Europe and can charge to my rescue.

While June here in Central Belgium was very dry and warm (but not by US standards, that's for sure); we have had three weeks of cool, rainy weather.
This morning, I went out to my vegetable patch and noticed that (overnight, it seems) two of my twelve tomato plants are exhibiting signs of either a bacterial or viral infection. And they're going down fast.
The leaves and stems are turning black, and some fruit has begun to rot. (Nothing's ripe yet, but they were certainly looking gorgeous until all of this nonsense started.)

Some background: In none of the garden centers I visited, nor the markets, were the tomato plants labelled like I'm used to seeing in both the US and the UK (where we were stationed for two years). Other than indicating if the plant is Roma, Patio, Grape, etc, etc, there's nothing to indicate the plant's level of disease resistance. So, even though I have three varieties, I may have bought a bunch of weak plants - and they all did come from the same garden center.

In the States or the UK, I'd know where to turn and what to buy to try to combat the spread of what seems to be a disease.
Here, I'm a little lost - and my French is abysmal. So, if anyone can direct me to a product that's readily available on the Continent, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. My beans have powdery mildew, if you can believe that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Recommendation for European Product

The leaves and stems are turning black, and some fruit has begun to rot.

Since I know there are still problems with Late BLight ( P. infestans) in the Netherlands, if I were you I'd try to ID what you have before looking for a magic bullet.

It it's Late Blight due to P infestans, and leaves and stems can be black, then there's nothing that can help.

How long have you seen those symptoms?

I ask b'c if it's Late Blight within a couple of weeks one usually sees a black stinking mass of tissue.

So if I were you I'd look in the Problem Solver #2 thread below at Late BLight for starters, look especially at the specific fruit and leaf lesions and also look to see if the petioles are beinding down.

If that doesn't look right then look at GRay Mold, which is almost a lookalike but less serious, and treatable.

Carolyn

o
RE: Need Recommendation for European Product

Carolyn,

Thanks for your prompt response. Would it help things if I sent photos???

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here