Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Praying Mantis good or bad?

Posted by CAstarter Z9 OC, CA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 14:10

I have seen a few of the praying mantis on my eggplant and tomatoes. Are they good/bad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Praying Mantis good or bad?

They are voracious hunters--eating both pests and beneficial insects. Personally, I would leave them there. They probably would do far more good than harm.

o

I consider them very very good. If you don't want it, you could always send it to me. LOL!

o

Me too!!!

Worth

o

I think theyre adoreable. Strange, but adoreable.

o

Need more of those little critters!

o

Garyjoe

Thats what I hate about the over use of pesticides.
I have plenty of Praying Mantises and spiders at my house.
I look at it this way they are the wolves of the insect world.
We dont have wolves down here any more (they killed them all) but we have way to many rabbits and coyotes.
We had a mama mountain lion on our place in OK in the national forest and cows.
She raised two litters of babies on the place and she harmed not one cow or calf.
I saw her a few times, "what a beautiful thing to see.
Stray dogs and coyotes constantly harassed the cows; I know I had to shoot enough of them.
Sorry folks its just a sore spot with me, the senseless killing of all kinds of critters.

Worth

o

well I don't believe anything with the term praying would be harmful. We do not see many up here, but besides the fact, they are very interesting creatures.

o
Praying mantis cause cow-explosions?

Is it only a myth that a praying mantis can kill a cow if the cow eats the mantis? If it is not so, are the symptoms of mantis-disease in any way resembling an explosion?

o

Although the Praying Mantis falls in the good category it is not the insect that one would "seek out" as a means of controling harmful insects. First, they don't reproduce fast enough to keep ahead of exploding pest populations, partly due to the fact that the females often eat their mate. Secondly, they usually devour everything they see, often larger beneficial insects. So the point is that if you want to reliably control pests with predatory insects you pretty much need to seek the smaller, host specific, rapid multipliers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here