Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khillego

Tomato--yellow leaves and spots (Pic)

khillego
18 years ago

This is my first go at gardening and I'm not doing too bad so far, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with my tomatoes. Twenty of my thirty tomato plants have started to yellow and get spots from the bottom on up. I've looked at previous postings but I still can't seem to identify the problem. Help! Does anyone know what this is and can I do anything this year, what about for next year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Kurt

Image link:

Comments (4)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Did you have a look at the Tomato Problem Solver link that is regularly posted on this forum? To me, it looks like blight (Alternaria solani), which is fungal.

Click on the various pictures of leaves. In particular, you'll want to look at the one on the bottom left and the one on the bottom right.

Pick up some Daconil (aka Ortho Garden Disease Control) and a good pump sprayer.

Then, with some sharp shears, cut away the diseased portions of plants. Wash hands and shears well between pruning each individual plant. Dispose of all cuttings away from the garden area.

Mix Daconil at the rate of one tablespoon per gallon of water in your sprayer, shake up and spray away. You'll want to attempt to cover all plant surfaces -- even the undersides of the leaves. Daconil is not systemic, it basically works by providing a barrier. I'd spray twice the first week, and every 7-10 days after that (or after rains).

Daconil also works well as a preventative, so you may want to consider using it regularly next year before you see problems. Mulching is also helpful as it limits splashback of fungal spores onto the plants from the soil.

Just so you know, for thirty fairly good sized plants, it should take at least two tankfuls of mix if you've sprayed the plants sufficiently (assuming a 2.5 gallon pump sprayer).

• killawale1979
    18 years ago

i have the exact same problem but worry about using chemicals on my fruit is it safe to do so?

• suze9
    18 years ago

i have the exact same problem

killawale, you may not have the same problem. Also, a fungicide may not be indicated for your particular problem.

Let's see what we can figure out on your post -- see you over there...

but worry about using chemicals on my fruit is it safe to do so?

I'm not in the habit of recommending the use of substances that I consider to be unsafe. But I would encourage you to read the MSDS and decide for yourself.

• bigbubbacain
    18 years ago

I've resigned to the fact sometimes, chemicals are our friends.I approached my garden with a "double whammy" this year. step 1: Last month, I sprayed my planting beds with Physan 20 once per week. Chemically speaking, it's known as a quaternary ammonium compound. It's EPA approved for all states and dissipates in as little as 24 hours, depending on how it's used. I used it at 1 tsp/gallon in the Ortho Dial N Spray, but I soaked the soil well. step 2: I started my seedlings with Actinovate in the water. It's a powerful strain of the Streptomyces fungus that colonizes in the roots and helps the plants' resistance to diseases. I resorted to this because my Ag extension office was encouraging me to grow disease resistant hybrids and I prefer heirlooms. seedlings look wonderful and I haven't seen any signs of early blight, which normally sets in by now.