Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow lower leaves SoCal UPDATE

Posted by oceano Calif (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 14:32

The symptoms--yellow, dying lower leaves, wilting, leaf curl, but continued slow growth--seem to fit "nematodes". Therefore I exhumed a plant to examine the roots. You can see the evidence I discovered in the link below.

At five inches under the soil, a stratum of white, perhaps mold, appeared in the sterile compost bed. However, it didn't seem significant. The roots appear normal and show no signs of gall or knotting, which are apparently characteristics of nematode damage.

The level of moisture in the soil seemed fine and evenly distributed. There was no pooling of water or rot around the tap root. Since it is hard to tell whether you;re watering too much or too little, this was interesting. I water once a week or more. It is tempting to water often because of the appearance of wilting, but I didn;t; and the soil one foot deep was still damp. Therefore I eliminate over-watering as cause of the problem.

I also eliminate nematodes, since the roots system seems healthy (anybody disagree?).

Hmmm. There's an insect on close examination of the plant. Is that a thrip?

As I said in a previous post, I believe I have slowed the progress of whatever this disease is by weekly heavy application of neem oil, an insecticide (and by one application of Diazinon).

I have now ruled out nematodes. Any theories or corrections appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roots 8.14.09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow lower leaves SoCal UPDATE

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 23:37

Responses are in your other post at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0814470912867.html?3

Here is a link that might be useful: your other, but same conetnt, post

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here