Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late blight A drastic course of action

Posted by Coconut_Head 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:36

So I was thinking, If I have a pretty bad late blight infestation going on, what if I pulled all the leaves off all of the most heavily effected plants, save the very end of the growing tips.

Could I reduce the pressure of the blight long enough and keep the plants alive until they started throwing out more leaves and thus could again begin ripening the fruit again. I would think this would reduce the incidence of my fruits getting blight and even if it increased the time they took to ripen, could it work? I think for this to work though, I would have to pull the leaves of pretty much every tomato, not just the worst hit ones.

The stem lesions don't seem to spread very quickly and other than sunscald, I think the tomatoes might make it through, or at least a good number of them.

My only other option at this point is to pick all the greens within the next day or so and burn the whole patch.

CH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late blight A drastic course of action

Any thoughts? Anyone tried this? Time is of the essence.

CH

o

You can try it. But you'll likely fail.

But if you try it, then you'll know for certain what to do next time.

o

Self-diagnoses often go awry.
Please post pictures to help us help you determine if it is late blight.

o

It's late blight, I't not my first spin around the late blight block.

I didn't go through with it anyways, I just pulled all my greens off all the plants and put them up in my garage. I'll be pulling all the plants as soon as I have a few hours to devote to it.

CH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here