Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this early blight?

Posted by firsttimegrdnr IL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 16:46

I have been advised that the tomato plant I am growing in a community garden has blight. I noticed spots on the leaves a week ago and pruned the worst of them a few days ago. There are still a few leaves and stems with spots, which I have taken three pictures of. A neighbor's plot has the same (or very similar) thing going on to a greater extent, so I took two pictures are of their plants as well. After reading about and looking at numerous pictures of the disease, I'm overwhelmed! Can anyone lend a hand identifying the problem with these tomato plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Images

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this early blight?

I am no expert by any means. But this looks exactly like what my plants had and what is referred to here in Vermont as Blight (there is a word in front of that but I don't know which, 'Light' perhaps?)

On my plants it started with teeny tiny spots but no matter how many leaves you take off, it doesn't disappear. It seems to be a fungus that also kills potatoes.

It was quite a surprise when the blight showed up where we live. It killed all my tomato plants, and I only saved about 25, 30 tomatoes that are still green.

M~.

o

Remove the infected leaves and spray the plant, top and underside of the leaves, with a fungicide contain a copper compound. Yes it is blight. Through the infected leave in the garbage and at season end remove ALL of the plants and put them in garbage. Leave NO debris in the garden. Google 'tomato blight' to get more info.

o

I got blight in GH this year.
I have removed only bad leaves for now and sprayed plants.
Will see later.

Question: how it origanated? from seeds? soil? air? I did not have blight last year. I don't have it on toms outside, only in greenhouse.

Should i replace all soil in GH in winter or just spray with something?

Can anybody recoment blight resistent tomatoes for GH (for next year)?

thanks

o

Blight whether early or late winters over in the soil and on garden debris so do what you want. A fungicide w/ copper cmpd sprayed on/in the soil would be effective for small areas such as in the GH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here