Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato leaves yellow, some spotted

Posted by fmanjoo California (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 18:18

I've got three tomato varieties growing in containers -- Juliet hybrid, roma, and brandywine. I transplanted them a couple months ago and for a while they were growing really well -- I've been using Fox Farm Grow Big and then Big Bloom.

Now on all three of them, but especially the brandywine, the leaves are getting yellow and falling off. Some of them are spotted with dark patches and holes in them. I've noticed some red aphids (I think) on the brandywine, but just a handful that I've sprayed off -- not an infestation.

Any other ideas? Is this a sign of overwatering, underwatering, overfertilizing, or something else? I'm using big bloom about twice a week.

I've added a link to photos online -- in one of them you'll see one of the central stems of the brandywine, which has gone slightly brown and mottled, although the stem above it continues to grow.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of tomatoes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato leaves yellow, some spotted

Your photos look like Early Blight so if you begin spraying with a good fungicide you can stall it (not a cure) until harvest. I would also suggest you cut back on your fertilizing a bit.

Dave

o
RE: Tomato leaves yellow, some spotted

Yeah I have suffered early blight on my last couple of grows and looks very similar to what you have, remove all infected leaves and spray with a Chlorothalonil based fungicide was what has been suggested to me. It will eventually kill the plant if left untreated but, for me at least, a fair amount of fruit had been harvested by that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here