Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another entry in the 'mysterious yellow leaves' roster

Posted by blue_canary Maryland (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 19:17

I have a half-whiskey barrel in which we've planted five heirloom varieties. They've been growing wonderfully for months, and we've harvested fruit from all of them-- except for the speckled roman.

It started with that one. First, there were a few leaves yellowing on the bottom. I wrote it off as older leaves dying as the plant grew, and didn't think anything of it until I realized that leaves up the entire plant were turning yellow, then crisping up and shriveling. And now the same thing is slowly but steadily afflicting the other plants in the barrel. Fortunately, the heirlooms we have planted in the ground adjacent to it seem to be doing fine-- for now.

I've looked up the various potential diseases that can afflict a tomato plant. While plants with similar symptoms seem to be suffering from psyllids, I've seen no sign of insect damage other than stinkbugs, and I don't think I live in a region where psyllids are prominent. I also suspect over watering, though not on purpose-- we've gone through a good month of solid 90+ temperatures and dry conditions, but for the last two weeks it's been raining every other day or so. The plants in the ground aren't afflicted by the yellowing, so I'm thinking the ones in the barrel aren't draining well? I've noticed that the speckled roman is covered in bumps that seem to be the type a plant puts out when it's trying to grow new roots; one of the other tomatoes has some as well.

Image link: Another entry in the 'mysterious yellow leaves' roster (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another entry in the 'mysterious yellow leaves' roster

In case someone else with the same problem comes across this post and wonders what the solution was:

Someone on another forum told me it was Late Blight. After reading more about it I unfortunately reached the same conclusion, and now that I know what to look for I realize that it's started spreading to adjacent plants as well. I've since aggressively been picking off and disposing of infected leaves in the still-healthy plants, and will at least let the current crop on the infected plants ripen before tearing them up. To help stem the spread of the infection to the healthy plants I've started spraying them with Daconil. Organic gardeners will want something with Copper Sulfate, which I've read is less effective than the chemical in Daconil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here