Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BER - Blossom End Rot - any ideas?

Posted by jimsocal Los Angeles (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 19:31

Hi, the experts here have identified my photos as being BER. I read the faq and it says once it's taken hold there isn't a whole lot that can be done...
It said sometimes it is recommended to cut off the bad fruit, maybe add powdered milk or egg shells, etc...
So I will try some of that...

But has anyone here had any success with any particular method? What would you recommend I try?

If I can use powdered milk, how about pouring regular milk into the dirt, and if so, how much would be appropriate per plant? I threw out some spoiled milk today; I assume I could have poured that into the plant soil, no?

Anyway, any specific ideas that have worked for you or that you've heard work, would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll poke around the web.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
P.S. RE: BER - Blossom End Rot - any ideas?

Since this may be caused by improper watering, can someone give me some tips on watering?
These plants are on my 2nd floor balcony in Los Angeles and it's been very hot and sunny here for the past month or so, in the 90's most days.
Many of the leaves are drying up and the plants look very bad in addition to having BER, though some parts of the plants look healthy - but other parts look like they're dying because the leaves are drying up.

How much should I be watering them? (They're in big 20" wide by maybe 20" high containers. I know bigger containers would be best but this is what we have.) I have been watering them every morning, giving each one maybe a quart or more of water each day. I figured it was too much but since the leaves are drying maybe it's not enough? I'm terrible at figuring out how much water to give plants! Unless the plant is wilting, then I usually know it needs water - but otherwise, sometimes I get confused...

o
RE: BER - Blossom End Rot - any ideas?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 1:48

It was asked "Since this may be caused by improper watering, can someone give me some tips on watering? "

Maintain evenly moist soil or potting mix.

o
RE: BER - Blossom End Rot - more

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 1:49

It was asked "If I can use powdered milk, how about pouring regular milk into the dirt..."

The calcium you add now won't be available for a while.

Milk is wasted effort.

As said above, "Maintain evenly moist soil or potting mix." That's the key.

o

THANKS!!

o

So am I correct in thinking that using Schultz 10-15-10 plant food daily or every other day was probably what caused this to happen where it had not happened in previous years? Too much nitrogen in that fertilizer?

o

Plants are not like you, must be feed every day, but more like a snake that must be feed about once a month or so. And, the answer to your Q is: it was a major contributing factor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here