Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find my green thumb!

Posted by heirloomjunkie Northwest IN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 20:16

This summer I went out and planted about eight varieties of heirlooms. I adore them, but I've had lots of problems... first all kinds of aphids, then white flies. Fighting that battle with Dawn and garlic, but losing. Now whole sections of plants are either turning yellow or wilting. The fruit seems pretty unaffected, however.

Did I screw up somehow? What am I doing wrong? And how can I avoid these problems in the spring instead of dealing with infestations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find my green thumb!

Soap spray should be SOAP, not detergent. Dawn is a detergent which can be harmful to plants. Try Ivory bar soap shaved and dissolved in warm water or Ivory liquid hand soap next time. The proportion to use is about 1 tablespoon soap to a gallon of water. Don't soak the plant but spray the bugs.

Sandy

o

Oh, so you're saying that I may be harming the plants by trying to help them. lol. That would be me. I thought it might be some kind of wilt at first. Fusarium? All of my peppers, brussel sprouts, and beans seem to be unaffected.

o

Junkie, you are certainly not the first with good intentions to cause problems. I can personally attest to that!!

If you could post good, close-up pictures of the leaves, it might help. Long distance diagnosis is difficult but sometimes we can tell by looking. If not, take samples to your local cooperative extension and they can tell you what's going on. Free service (that you've paid for with your taxes! LOL)

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here